Robin nesting in our shed

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My wife was about to move a crate with random crap in it when she noticed a nest with 2 eggs. Since then, 4 more have been laid and when I peeked in today, there was a robin sat on them. Hoping to set up the wildlife camera this afternoon but they're in a tricky place (and the robin flew off so hope I haven't scared her completely)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Takes more than a little peep to put a Robin off her eggs, in my experience of them; we've had them in the barn for years and they come and go whilst I'm at the bench quite happily. They do sometimes build very precarious nests sometimes, though!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You're right! By the time I'd fetched the camera she was back again (assuming it's the female that sits on the eggs):

IMG_4458.jpg

I love spring!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Been in to check today and the nest is full of hungry chicks! Difficult to count so don't know if all 6 made it but hopefully the camera will have seen something

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just looked now and they've gone - one was flying around in the adjacent barn! There was a single egg left in the nest - I presume it didn't hatch the first time round.

There's also a clutch of 8 eggs in a hollow fence post but haven't seen anyone sitting on them yet so might have been abandoned

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Looking back at the video footage, they hatched on the 25th/26th of April and only flew the nest today. That's 15 days from egg to flight - pretty impressive stuff, nature!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Well done. We consider it a mark of good fortune when wild things share your space.
Are your Robins double-brooded? Two nestings each summer?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE