RM Wild food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I hope people let the publishers know where any errors are so that they can
be fixed for the second edition. That's the usual way of things :)

Obviously I am more than happy to volunteer my services for proof-reading :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'd have thought the publishers Hodder and Stoughton would have given a prototype copy (if thats the right word for books) to Ray or Gordon to have a look through to make sure they're happy with the layout and look for mistakes BEFORE the main print run. (That would be the usual way of things to me Jodie :)) A normal proof reader would maybe only check text and wouldn't necessarily have the knowledge to recognise if a plant picture was incorrect.
I know any mistakes will be corrected in the second edition but to be honest they shouldn't have happened in the first place. Books arn't cheap. And again if someone was using that book as an ID guide (yes we all know you should cross reference with a dedicated ID book, but not EVERYONE would ) it could possibly prove fatal or at least cause someone a lot of discomfort despite the disclaimer on page 4.
I've sent Hodder and Stoughton a quick e-mail in case no one's mentioned it yet.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I've read a fair few textbooks where the author has thanked readers for comments and
corrections to earlier editions - these things tend to run into multiple editions and
perhaps the more technical the text the more scope for error.

A statistics book I bought for biochemists went one step further and had a dedicated
website highlighted at the beginning of the book where everyone was invited to post
any errors they spotted! They were legion :)

Good idea to send an email to the publishers though. I definitely wouldn't have the
expertise to spot a misplaced plant, but I do quite a lot of proofreading for work which
I enjoy. It's basically a glorified "spotting others' mistakes" :D

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Another error is the location of Oetzi's body. It is not Swiss, but just over the Austrian/Italian border in Italy. You would imagine that one of the most significant archaeological finds would have made more of an impression.

But I am halfway through it and enjoying it immensly. One of his best productions so far.

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE