River Cottage...

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Hi, did anyone see River Cottage on TV the other day, I think it was part two of a two part special.

I just saw him use a large wigwam style tent which looked great. Does anybody have any info on this or any idea where it can be bought? I was wondering if it was something he might of actually made or had made though, not seen anything like it in use in the uk other than by RayMears on his recent bushcraft show and I'm not sure that was in the UK, can't remember now!

Cheers
Geoff

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
heres a pic of mine...
tipi2

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Wow, cheers guys, thats loads of info!

Reason I asked is that I have a GoLite hex 3 which is in this style and I have found it to be fantastic in just about every situation and very versatile, but thought it would be nice after seeing glimpses of them on tv of getting something much more substantial :)

I will check out all the links and see whats what.

Thanks again

Geoff

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Which model Tentipi is that tomtom?

What do you think is the best model for the UK Climate?

If you don't mind me asking that is.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have the arran5 lite, its fantastic as i have said.. i think it is the best one, if you intend to carry it in your pack, but if you are car/canoe camping you might do better to go for one of the bigger models in a heavyer more robust materia, especially if your going to light fires in it (even though i have had fires in mine, and it works fine) but really theres not much difference between the models it depends largly on your budget. remember these tents come from a lot further north and cope fine with the more extream colds up there.

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Well I've got my heart set on one, its just hard to determine which is best for me.

Probably gonn ago for something heavier/larger that me and my regular outdoor mates can use as a base camp as I have a GoLite Hex 3 as previously mentioned which is my backpacking tent and what got me onto creating this link.

Are the fireboxes worhwhile do you think or a waste of money? Does anybody here use them? A wood burning stove and flume would be nice, but it makes them too expensive for me.

Geoff

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Although I've never used one in a tent I have a small firebox for low impact firemaking. They are nice and light too and fold up nicely into your pack. Unfortunatley they tarnish very easily and you'll need to make a bag to put it in to stop it staining your other bits and bobs in your pack.
As long as you get a nice bed of coals they are fantastic for cooking. It doesn't really work too well if you're suspending your pot over the fire as the fire doesn't get big enough. It's much better to place it on the crossbar of the firebox.
It's miles better than a gas stove, but they don't beat a proper open fire - the atmos just isn't the same.

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE