Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Took a punt on a couple of old 58 pattern bags on ebay

They came as a pair, described as:
2 x 58 Pattern sleeping bags
1 size large 1985 in military grade A condition, very good
1 size medium 1979 in good condition but the base has discoloured with age (in the piccy this looked a foot shorter than the long one)

So first concern is that they are old - but described as "Grade A" - I actually only wanted the long one but figured I could always sell one or both on if I'm not happy. Given there age I've been reading about "revitalising" the down with a gentle bath wash and then a tumble dry with a shoe. Anyone tried this?

Was this a daft impulse buy?

Guess I shall see when they turn up.

Cheers

Mike

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I had one for over a decade and loved it. I never tried to wash and revitalise mine though as I was worried the down would escape. Every time I used it there were feathers floating about, it got lighter and lighter the more I used it in the end!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Update - The newer (1985) bag has still got plenty of loft, very pleased with it. Will work a treat in my hammock. The short 1985 bag stinks, has no loft and needs a lot of tlc. So I'm experimenting on it. Already removed its groundsheet. Revealing a lot of desicated down. Next step is to try washing and tumble drying it. If it still looks sad its destined to be refilled with synthetic from a old Tesco bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE