Review of the Anevay Traveller Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
Anevay Traveller Stove
Review
April'2014
I had wanted a new stove to replace my Kni-co Alaskan stove for my Tentipi Safir 9. I was in the market for something sturdy that would last a long time and hold the heat well. Weight was not a major issue as it was to be used as a base camp stove, but size is always an issue in a tent of any description.
I had looked at a lot of stoves from all over the world, the 4 dog, the Kni co range, the windy smithy...which I was very taken with , and then I came across the Traveller, a big brother of the very successful lightweight frontier stove
The design was unique for a portable stove. It was upright, cylindrical build and had a glass door which allowed you to get the visual effect of a fire that was a really nice feature.
Very importantly it has a lid on the top (similar in function to an AGA cooker) that can be opened to expose the fire to a kettle or cook pot, allowing you to cook safely inside the tent. with the lid closed you could simmer a kettle depending on the heat of the stove.
This lid allows you to feed large fuel to the fire other than through the smaller glass front door. the door simply lifts off for cleaning and the glass also lifts out easily for cleaning or replacement.
There is a small removable grate in the doorway to hold hot coals in place when opening the door. A very important feature of the Traveller stove is that it is multi fuel. I burned wood, coal and peat briquettes, all with great success.
The construction of the stove is excellent, the thick steel construction throughout that has been powder coated for protection. ( it also comes in a range of funky colours if that's important to you.. I just went for practical mat black)
Inside the fire chamber there is a baffle over the chimney extract which facilitates a secondary burn of smoke therefore permitting a more fuel efficient fire with less smoke, which means less creosote in the flue and less pollution.
There is an adjustable grate that holds the fuel and can be opened to regulate air flow to the chamber and also allow spent ash to fall into the ash drawer beneath.
The removable ash draw facilitates easy cleaning/ emptying of the stove and allows you to regulate the burn of fuel via air intake control.
There are also 2 heavy gauge detachable circular steel warming place which work well, but personally I would prefer to see these as an optional extra and the price of the stove reduced accordingly , as I had little use for them, and took them off after a couple of days. Space inside the tent was at a premium with 2 adults and 2 kids!
There is also a very neat removable semicircular plate that attaches to the front of the stove to catch any ash/sparks that may fall out when the glass door is open. Effectively, a small hearth.
The flue section is an optional extra which I think is a bit strange. A four section pipe 4x 500mm with cowl is £150. It's expensive but excellent heavy duty quality and the pipes sit loosely but securely together. I had to buy an additional 2 x 500mm sections of flue for my Tentipi Safir 9 due to its height.
After curing the paintwork with 4 different temp and duration burns with a firefighter type material supplied with the stove, the curing is complete; the whole process takes about an hour.
I also purchased and aluminum storage/ transportation box which I think is a must , but is not cheap at £100, but is well made. It is however a very neat fit, perhaps a little too neat. An inch around each side would definitely make stowing the stove in the box easier without undermining its secureness for transportation.
I managed pack all 6 flue sections and the 2 warming plates with the hearth into the aluminum box but it was very tight. The cowl would not fit even without the extra 2 flue sections I had. I was either doing something wrong, or this may be a slight design flaw as the cowl shape makes it very awkward. The stove is very heavy with the flue etc. and lifting it into the storage box is no easy task. All pieces were secured with bungee cords. I would like to think there must be a better way of boxing the stove, perhaps with the main box fitting over the stove and the base clipping on with very strong clips ( I guess the weight of the stove may be too much for the locks)
I used this stove for 8 nights in the wilds of Connemara in April this year ( we only booked for 4 nights but the stoves performance made a longer stay possible) and overall I have to say I was delighted with my purchase. The whole kit costs about €800 with the extras I got, so it's not cheap, but it should last a life time if looked after. It is a very well thought out design and very well constructed. I would rate it 9/10 .. Losing a point for the difficulty in stowing the Ali box and the hot plates not being optional extras.
What I really liked about this stove is
It’s Multi Fuel
Thick steel plate ensure maximum heat retention
that ability to really cook on it,
The glass door allowing you to get the glow of the fire
The upright design makes it perfect for small spaces, like tents, outhouses, boats etc.
When putting away the stove for your next adventure, ensure you Hoover out any excess ash, as this absorbs moisture and will cause corrosion.... I have experienced with other stoves. Give the stove a rub down with WD40 and this will not only restore its looks but prevent moisture damage etc.
If you’re in the market for a tent stove and have a few bob the Anevay Traveller is well worth consideration .... You get what you pay for!

_

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great review! I must admit I'm not keen on the glass front, but it all sounds great! I'm a fronteir fan, but our Tentipi is the Safir 5 so it's just the right size for that!

Thanks for sharing your review with us! :)

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
Cheers Cameron, interesting view on the glass front, that was one of the features that caught my eye at first, and I have to say I really like it , thanks for the comments :)

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
apologies, I had meant to include some photos in my review,
The Traveller Stove in the The Tentipi Safir 9 image.jpg
breakfast on the wayimage.jpg
Managing the heat output takes practice, some nights we sat with the tent openimage.jpg
image.jpg

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
Nagura I am seriously thinking about this stove for a bell tent, do you have anymore comments to add with futher use since your original review?

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
Muffinski I would still highly recommend the stove. I would look for a discount in lieu of warming plates.
.also I just recently bought a spark arrester which I will use instead of the cowl. It's well made but I haven't used it yet so can't comment on functionality. But it will fit inside the stove fire box for transporting unlike the cowl.
I love it and expect it to last a lifetime.
Good luck with your decision!

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Baggins, frontier is good stove . Any stove transforms a tent, in my opinion a worthwhile investment...

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Love the look of the stove, saw one when I was looking to buy a bell tent last week, may have to go back and have a bettter look at it again. Very nice review also.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
Thanks Nagura, although dearer the average stove being sold with bell tent companies it seems the build and materials used are of superior quality. The only other stove I am considering is the pipsqueak stove. It will be one of the two once funds permit.

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
Hi thanks for the review. Where did to you get the fabric guard for flue to protect the Saf. 9 ?

Carl

Hey Carl, I used a piece of 6 inch pipe from another stove flue I had and just slid it over the traveller flue and screwed it in place. Anevey have now brought out a1meter piece of flue which has a guard welded on to it.its a heavy duty bit of kit as with all the traveller stove accessories. I have bought it but not used it yet.,I'm off tomorrow for a weeks camping so I'll let you know how I got on with it.

Here's a link
http://anevay.co.uk/media/catalog/p...6e5fb8d27136e95/t/r/traveller_tipi_sleeve.jpg

Regards

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
Ok so a bit of an update on the traveller stove and the flue tent guard as mentioned earlier.
As I had just received the flue sleeve a few days before we departed on our trip I was unable to test it in advance ..something I usually do before i go... But it was specifically made for my traveller stove and for a tipi so what could go wrong?

Well, when I arrived at the camp site and pitched I realised the flue sleeve neither fitted my existing flue or the opening in my safir 9 tentipi. Needless to say I was very disappointed!
I contacted The manufacturer Anevay to let them know the problem and to see if I was missing a trick? It appears the new flue sleeve was made for an updated flue which was now in issue ..which surprised me as I had only purchased my stove a couple of months earlier and there was no mention of sizing issues on the web page.
But what about the opening on the Tentipi... Well I was told it apparently fitted most tipis but perhaps not the tentipi!! I was surprised to hear this particularly with Tentipi being a big seller..... But more so that no dimensions were mentioned on the website ..so it would have been impossible to check anyway.

To cut a long story short, Anevays sales manager was exceptional and pulled out all the stops to find a solution...which was to manufacture an adaptor to fit the Frontier stove smaller flue to the traveller stove. This they did same day and shipped to me in the west of Ireland campsite together with the necessary frontier flue sleeve sections to ensure it fitted my tentipi.
I received the replacement parts two working days later and it worked a treat, excellent fit and perfect draw from fire.
I short, if buying the traveller stove tipi sleeve check both your existing flue diameter and tipi opening for fit in advance. Personally the hybrid of traveller and frontier stove flue works really well.
Most importantly, whilst it would have been nice for this problem not to have occurred in the first place... Errors happen and it's how they are dealt with that count.... Anevay and specifically their sales manger Lyssa were excellent in both there approach to me and resolving the problem.. Which is the most you can ask for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2014
England
Personally the hybrid of traveller and frontier stove flue works really well.

I'm about to order this hybrid adapter. Just a little concerned about the flue size reduction from 4" to 2" inches though. Especially that I'll be using it in my Safir 7 which is not as high as my 9.

I might just make my own using a 6" aluminium flue section.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE