Review Of Strømeng Leuku

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tyr

Oct 10, 2004
UK N Cyprus Canada off and on
Yeah you are right it is both ways that you have to squeeze the sheath; I just meant that to me I don’t even think about it, it just happens. When you lend it to someone else at the campsite, even if you have just told them to squeeze, sometimes they don’t, so I have to explain it all again, it does take a little getting used to, just like when you unsheathe a kukri.

Paganwolf, unless I have misunderstood twisting the knife when you unsheathe will not work so well. The blade gets deeper towards the tip and as the sheath mouth is oval you will be trying to draw an increasingly deeper blade though a narrower mouth if you twist. You want to draw it though the biggest part of the oval mouth, the thing is that it is not wide enough unless you squeeze, it keeps the knife nice and secure when not in use without a flap of any kind, so it is a very simple solution and it works well, you just have to get used to the squeezing, it will be second nature soon. You will love the knife.

The chips that I took out of the blade were pretty small, a little work with a stone and they were gone, the biggest came when I was trying to split some discarded wood for a fire, one of the bits had a metal bolt in it and I didn’t see it, I just didn’t check properly. Yes the black coating has almost all gone on my fist knife.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Paganwolf mate? You must have tried you leuku by now eh? :wink: :eek:):
Have some thoughts to share perhaps? :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I just ordered the 9" from ATTAC along with a Brusletto Spikke. Looking forward to it. I have two long leukos already but haven't found one that suits me perfectly yet. For me, the handle on my Roselli is too narrow and after a little chopping, is quite painful. My Jarvenpaa has a more comfortable handle and I wish it had the Roselli blade on it. The Roselli blade is heavier and you get better forward balance for chopping. I'm curious to see how this Leuko works out.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hoodoo said:
I just ordered the 9" from ATTAC along with a Brusletto Spikke. Looking forward to it. I have two long leukos already but haven't found one that suits me perfectly yet. For me, the handle on my Roselli is too narrow and after a little chopping, is quite painful. My Jarvenpaa has a more comfortable handle and I wish it had the Roselli blade on it. The Roselli blade is heavier and you get better forward balance for chopping. I'm curious to see how this Leuko works out.
Another knife..... :shock: :shock: :rolmao:
After the review here they're selling like warm bread. :biggthump :pack:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Just to let you all know we had eel today and I filleted it. :wink: It went like warm bread, nice and sharp. It's an excellent skinner too. :biggthump And I could slice the bones apart.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Got home yesterday from a hunting trip and this was waiting for me.

norwegianleuku1c.jpg

I really like the feel of it. Can't wait to give it a try!

Here's a pic comparing it to a Jarvenpaa leuku.

jarvenpaastromeng1b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I had a chance to give the 9" leuku a good workout the other day, chopping up a bunch of maple limbs I trimmed from the trees in my yard. I am pretty impressed with this knife. Firstly I would recommend the 9" over shorter leukus because that gives you more forward mass and more power. I have a couple 7" leukus and they don't really compare. The thing about the 9" is that even at that huge length, it is still a very light knife to carry. Mine weighs 10.5 ounces. Compare that to a Becker BK-7 which weighs 14 ounces on my scale and I don't think it's nearly as good of a chopping tool. I get 12 oz for a GB mini, to give you another size reference. To be fair, though, the leuku weighs 14 oz with a sheath and the mini weighs 13 oz with a sheath, so the mini still wins in weight overall. The Becker with sheath looks to be around 18.5 oz.

I do find sheathing and unsheathing the knife to be annoying. As Andy mentioned previously, it's a two-handed operation. But the knife itself is a joy to use. Easy to swing with the wrist, and it bites into the hard maple well. It has the added advantabe over the GB Mini of being able to be used as a draw knife and although I haven't tried it yet, I think it would be pretty effective tool for splitting a limb lengthwise to make a bow stave. The GB would be better for splitting chunks of wood but the Stromeng is so long that unless the wood round is huge, you could baton the Stromeng all the way through a chunk of wood by tapping on the exposed part of the spine. With the nice poll though, the mini is still handy for driving stakes although with big stakes and hard ground, you will probably want to make a baton anyway, for pounding.

This is a great tool in a light package! I don't think it would replace a GB wildlife hatchet but it's easily a match for the mini and perhaps an essential woodworking tool in the field, depending on what ya want to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE