reversible smock....just sew two together?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Hello all

So i'm thinking of making a reversible smock (green/white) from two swedish army snow smocks. Would this work?
Could i simply turn one inside out and sew it inside the other?......i kinda cant see why it wouldn't work, but i don't quite believe it either lol

If it would work would i need one slightly bigger than the other?

Cheers all.......adam

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
No idea, somehow it sounds too easy! If you have a couple of sweatshirts or similar at home you could try putting one inside the other and pin it together as an experiment?.....

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
It sounds like it would work in theory, it would be a heavy one to wear though and might be uncomfortable?

Tonyuk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Sunndog,
Liker Badger74 I too have done this before, in fact several times with different types of jacket/different cam patterns/different h20 proofing etc. It can work if both jackets are of the same or a similar cut - if not you can end up with overstretched material in one garment and bunched up in the other. The pocket arrangement needs to be similar too - if not you can end up with either no place to stow things when you invert the garment or stuff in an awkward position. Dependent on the type of materials in each jacket and the way in which you join them together you can end up with a) a heavy garment b) a not very breathable garment c) an uncomfortable garment d) a garment that doesn't dry out easily after rain/perspiration e) a garment that is difficult to wash and dry - etc. If the outside of the garment gets wet and filthy and you then need to invert it you end up with *@!! against your under-layers. When all is said and done it is far less complicated to carry an extra (or more) lightweight over-smock(s) which can be donned almost as quickly as taking off and reversing a back-to-back garment. If carrying the extra smock is an issue - having gone down the route (operationally) - I found the best result was to create an internal pouch across the rear of the jacket (like the old Brit combat jacket) from the hem upwards, making it large enough to stow a lightweight (and usually h20 proof) smock without having to fold it too many times, that meant the extra garment was with me and the bonus was an inbuilt waterproof seat! Hope this is of use to you.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Cheers chaps. paul, yeah i thought it sounded too easy as well :D

Now i know its been done before i'll have a go.

jeager, The swedish snow smocks are a pretty lightweight thing on there own so two layers would be an improvement. And still lighter than say an m65 jacket
I'll never feel the need to change it over during the day. its not camo, just a project

Thanks again for the input lads

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
This is my previously modded Swedish Smock with an un-modded Swedish smock. Once buttoned together I just used it as an overhead smock to reverse for the photo. It felt more substantial than on their own, but my cheapo luggage scales weigh in at 1lb/500g ish. They are both size C46; they might look odd sizes in the photo, but htat could be my laziness in looking tidy.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I'm not looking my best :)

Attachments

• 20150526_201036.jpg
    20150526_201036.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20150526_200909.jpg
    20150526_200909.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Awsome, thanks very much for that :cool:

It seems to work just fine. Looking at the "green outside" pic you could think that its slightly too small and being pulled up over the white
But since it doesn't happen the other way round in the "white outside" pic i'd be inclined to say its just the nature of them being buttoned together and got pulled out of shape......we've all had a button in coat liner go haywire on us from time to time

Does that sound about right to you mate?

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Wrong information. I've checked this morning, the green one is slightly smaller, either through shrinking a bit in the wash or slightly different size variations of the same size.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thanks for that mate

I reckon if i sew all the edges (staying overhead style and para smock woolen cuffs) a tiny difference like in yours wont be much of an issue. So long as the smaller one is still big enough to fit me obviously

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Yes, I think that would work ok. When I bought the one I dyed green, I bought a second as well at the same time from the same shop. When they were joined by the buttons, they matched perfectly.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
One thing I figure can be a problem, is washing.
How to be sure the dye from the green won't leech into the white in the washer?

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
This thread has had me looking at those WII German mountain smock copies on Aliexpress again :rolleyes:

As long as when you dye it, you fix it properly and then wash it a few times separate afterwards to get rid of any residue before sewing together I don't see a problem. Just in case though, use one of those dye catcher when you wash it after its joined.

The other option, is don't wash it :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE