Returning to Scotland/Hiking/Munro Bagging

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've posted here on BcUK.. For the last couple of years I have been living abroad, further and further afield, most recently out in SE Asia. Next week I fly back to Glasgow and intend to stay for a while. The one thing I've missed more than anything, especially here where I am, is the beautiful Scottish countryside - even with it's dreich weather! Since being away my interest in photography has grown and I can't wait to get back to Scotland and really get to know the countryside both with my feet and with the camera.

What I was wondering was, are there any regulars in or around Glasgow that are up for going on walks (and perhaps overnighters once it warms up a wee bit) with me?

Last time I visited home I climbed Ben Lomond and enjoyed it immensely. Plan on bagging a few more munro.

Initially I won't have a motor, as a newbie can anyone suggest which I should consider first? Whats the most accessible by train?

Cheers.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Get hold of Cameron McNeish's THE MUNRO ALMANAC - & his CORBETT ALMANAC - both pocket-sized and usually available cheep on ebay etc.
Check out the GEOGRAPH website - handy for planning access/routes, also provides (limited but sufficient) access to the Ordnance Survey maps.
You have the Arrochar Alps opposite Ben Lomond near you...

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
I go out walking/hillclimbing taking in some Munros.

I combine it with my own love of Landscape photography and wild camping.

I will PM you mate. I am east of Glasgow, reasonably well placed.

Pete

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Nic, cheers mate I will have a hunt for those books on eBay. Defo need to pick up some OS maps.

Pete, I've dropped you a message back. Glad to hear you're also a photographer. I shoot Fuji and just ordered the 12mm f/2 samyang super wide angle. I am chomping at the bit to try it out and I am planning to try and do some night time shooting. Any experience with shooting the milky way?

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Nic, cheers mate I will have a hunt for those books on eBay. Defo need to pick up some OS maps.

Pete, I've dropped you a message back. Glad to hear you're also a photographer. I shoot Fuji and just ordered the 12mm f/2 samyang super wide angle. I am chomping at the bit to try it out and I am planning to try and do some night time shooting. Any experience with shooting the milky way?

Cheers , will get to email after this.

MW, yup ! Usual sub 30 secs stuff tbh . Looking at ( hopefully ) getting a wee portable driven moter to compensate Earth rotation, more money.

Used to have a load of astronomy gear, just the one scope now.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE