retinning tin

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
What is a babby tin?
I used to work in a plating shop and did every type except silver and gold; dull nickkel, bright nickel, copper, tin, brass, hard chrome, bright chrome, passivated etc. We used to tin plate special MOD computer monitor boxes as I remember. I know that copper pans need to be re tinned sometimes. If you want to do the inside and leave the rest as copper or whatever metal your babby tins are made from, you use wax resist to prevent the tin from adhering to the waxed metal. Then the wax is removed with the degreaser afterwards. If the metal is steel which it likely is, it will need to be degreased, rinsed, caustic hot washed, rinsed, acid etched, rinsed, then tinned (honestly cant remember if it needs a coat of copper first, it was nearly 30 years ago......)

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
How big (or little :) ) is babby?

There is a solder bath at work which should do the trick. I'll measure it up if you like.

If you have a blow torch you should be able to do the job yourself. Baker's soldering fluid seems capable of making solder stick to damn near anything that's metal. How to use here; bakers no 3 soldering fluid . Link just googled, hope that is little enough affiliation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE