Rescuing a Peasant

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So, it seems that my Svord Peasant Mini fell out of my pocket while I was doing the gardening. It's spent 2 weeks in the fine kent weather (aka the rain), and is now looking less than happy. Can anyone suggest the best way to rescue this blade?

peasant01_sm.jpg

I am thinking either cover in WD40 and wipe with a cloth, or the molasses trick? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Julia

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd do the WD40 thing first, Julia...........I don't think it can be far gone in that time; a bit of very fine wire wool or a scourer for non-stick should sort it out. I'm a big fan of the molasses trick but for it to be effective you have to dip, and with the handle still on it might be a bit messy, eh? :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I must admit, when I saw the title of this I had visions of a guy in a matelot shirt and berry being hauled out of the Seinne!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I'd do the WD40 thing first, Julia...........I don't think it can be far gone in that time; a bit of very fine wire wool or a scourer for non-stick should sort it out. I'm a big fan of the molasses trick but for it to be effective you have to dip, and with the handle still on it might be a bit messy, eh? :)

It's easy enough to disassemble it, the handle just unscrews.

J

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Oh, ok, I've never had one, don't fancy the bit sticking out the end when they're closed, somehow.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
so, having attacked it with WD40, a cloth, and then a gentle brushing with a stainless steel pan scourer, the orange rust has all come off. But it has left behind some ever so slight raised darker bits.

I've tried to get some photos to show it, but they are not the best photos ever, as they came from my phone:

peasant03_sm.jpg

peasant04_sm.jpg

peasant05_sm.jpg

Molasses time?

J

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You could do that, but I think I'd give it a bit of very fine wet'n'dry or some metal polish or stropping compound...............toothpaste? The molasses just takes a bit of time, but it works really well :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The only reservation I have about using anything more abrasive is that it is removing material. Where as molasses doesn't remove any material...

Needs a think...

J

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
is this not a good excuse to learn how to polish a blade ?

go to the second hand shop or look find any old knife, then start with some fine emery cloth and work down to polish.
if you can make it look like a mirror :) then start again on your svord...

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Something like Solvol, stropping compound or toothpaste won't take any steel from the blade in an amount that's more than nominal, and even fine grade wet'n'dry will be minimal. Try toothpaste, it's right there in the house and it'll take nothing away.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Garryflex abrasive blocks are good for this sort of thing. I have a few of them in various grits (they are made from rubber impregnated with abrasive grit) and regularly buy rusty secondhand tools. Great for cleaning them up and quite addictive to use. Can't see a bit of rusty metal without cleaning it up now.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd just polish it with silly fine wet 'n dry - say 1,000 grit on up. Don't worry about removing material Julia, it'll be fine. If you have a third sheet sander you can get a mirror polish on the in 30 minutes. If you haven't got the tools, I'll happily do it for you - I can molasses, electrolyse the rust off - whatever you like really

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
The amount if material you'd remove with a very fine wet and dry paper would barely be measured by thousands of an inch.
Crack on.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
I think the patina's lovely IMHO. Gives it character... a history. But I can understand you wanting to shine it up. To each his own.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I sharpened my Falcata once and forgot to oil the blade afterwards in the heat and high humidity of North Carolina it rusted up quite badly. I tool a 3M scrubbing pad and some 3in1 oil to the blade it removed all the rust and polished it up quite nicely. From then on I've never forgotten to oil the blade.
Falcata.jpg
There's a lot of blade to go rusty.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Just sharpen it, both the main bevel and the microbevel... got a DC4? Once it's sharp strop it until it'll shave a sleeping rabbit... job done. Any 'staining' adds to its character ;)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So, after taking the wire scourer to it the other day. Today I took brasso and a cloth to it. Took some nice dirt off it, but has left big dark patina. I will photograph it tomorrow, before I put it in the molasses...

J

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hobrite is one I forgot to mention, if you have that in the kitchen it's worth 5 mins with the scourer :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE