Replication of gear using natural / available materials

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
As part of my self imposed bushy training regime i thought it would be good to try and replicate my kit with natural/available materials.

I've learned to replicate my pack by simply making a roycraft style pack frame. Having a frame is just as good as having a pack but i would like some kind of basket for this but with limited basket making materials, the frame alone is just as good.

Tarp is simple, find a tree and sit under it or build a shelter, only built four but i've been dry.

Replicated paracord by making cord/rope from willow, nettle, rosebay willowherb, grass and thistle all of which are just as good as paracord, binding i've used decidous branches, tree roots and whole brambles.

Sleeping bag i've just used available debris to great effect.

Fire is difficult as i'm struggling with bowdrill and not found any suitable rocks YET.

However i'm struggling with water container and a boiling vessel, what can i use for this purpose?

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
This has been real fun to do, for me i know what i think are the most important items, knife, pot, matches and a water bottle, plus i would add a bivi bag, it's just as good as a sleeping bag and rain shelter.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
for boiling you could either form a bowl by burning out a half log by using an ember and blowing, or use a suitable bark like lime or birch to form a bowl them use hot rocks from your fire to boil the water by dropping them in.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
for boiling you could either form a bowl by burning out a half log by using an ember and blowing, or use a suitable bark like lime or birch to form a bowl them use hot rocks from your fire to boil the water by dropping them in.

Would birch bark from a dead tree be okay?
It might be too brittle to fold it but if i got a few sheets and glued them together with pine pitch i could make a decent sized bowl, unless the temperature of the heated water caused the pitch to melt.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I've done the birch bark thing but not for a long time. You can get a pretty big bowl from a single sheet, either sew with cordage if you want permanent or just peg the corners with split twigs if you want something for a single trip. You can boil in it if you take care but hot rocks inside or embers outside work just fine. As for being brittle, warming in a flame makes it more pliable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE