replica 1920s kit tested on Everest

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
That's very cool indeed. Can't say I can ever see myself climbing Everest, but it's great that "old technology" can do so very well against modern materials. Having recently tried out merino wool, I doubt I'll ever buy as much synthetic stuff again - it's just so nice to wear as a baselayer, fleece and socks. Perhaps I should get Ventile instead of Goretex after all!

Of course they had the advantage of tailor-made gear, which is always going to be nicer!

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
What a great post Keith_Beef, thanks for pointing that out, I'd missed it.

I went to up to Everest basecamp and Kalar Pattar in Feb this year my 1930/40's Swiss army goggles worked just fine too ! They were almost identical to those used by Hilary and were and still are a superb bit of kit. Lighter than sunglasses they protect peripheral vision and if the tape breaks could be fixed with string and still be fully functional...unlike sunglasses which are trashed as soon as you sit on them.
KarlarPatterSummitandEverest3a.jpg

I have often thought that modern 'Gucci' kit was over rated.

I recently bought an unissued 1940's Swiss Army canvas and leather rucksack (don't ask why I'm not sure I know myself). Very similar to the British A- frame bergen of the same period only smaller.

It's as light as my modern Berghaus Dart with Free Flow technology. The A frame on the vintage sack does the same thing ! It's entirely made from natural sustainable materials. And if the strap broke it would be much easier to rig a replacement 'in the field' than it would be on a modern sack without webbing and stitching materials.

Maybe when I do Cho Oyu next year I'll go in plus fours, a 'wooly pully' and a tweed suit !

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Ah, but we can see you're a fraud - that's definitely a synthetic fleece you're wearing! ;)

Love the goggles, though.

Just realised I don't know what gabardine is - does anyone have the details?

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Gabardine is a little bit different than Ventile, so here I go with another one of my long, drawn out textiles post:

Gabardine is a twill weave, woven very tightly. It is proofed twice, once in the raw yarn and again as a finished product. Due to the nature of the weave, it is extremely water repellent as well as totally windproof. The nature of a close twill weave means that water is held by the fabric at extreme tension, preventing it soaking in too much. As well, a twill weave is very hard wearing, much harder to puncture than Ventile. This is why Levi's and other jeans are made with a twill weave. However, even the toughest fabrics rip or tear eventually and once a twill weave reaches that point it'll unravel fairly quickly.

Ventile is an oxford weave, also woven very close. Sometimes it's proofed, sometimes not. The biggest difference between Ventile and Gabardine is in the weave itself. An oxford weave is simply a basket weave of sorts, and when wet the weave allows the fibres to swell in a very uniform pattern something no gabardine will ever do. (That's the secret behind Ventile) About the only drawback of an oxford weave that I can think of is in terms of durability, it holes and rips much easier than a twill weave.

Cheers,

Adam

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
Ah, but we can see you're a fraud - that's definitely a synthetic fleece you're wearing!
Love the goggles, though.
Fair point - but, that is a 15 year old Abris fleece (Abris was a great UK kit manufacturer that sadly no longer exists) using first generation Polar Tec fabric. and IMO never been bettered.

It's seen me through the Alps, kyaking in sub zero temps (and was too hot even when drenched from capsizing), countless trip here in the UK and a winter trip to to SoloKhumbu/Nepal.

It's my comfort fleece ! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE