Removing Baked Soot from Stainless Steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
I just picked up a used stainless steel stove and while I like the purple patina caused by heat, the soot has been properly baked on and it looks filthy! It’s a cylinder type gassifier, with a wire mesh grid at the bottom and an ash chamber (very filthy) beneath it that I cannot get to with filth scrapers of any kind...but I shall not be defeated.

So far:
soaked in oven cleaner for a couple of hours. Result, filthy and slightly filthy oven cleaner!
Rubbed furiously with fine wire wool. Result, filthy!
Wire brush. Filth!
Brasso. Filthy!

I have left it out in the freezing garden tonight to teach it a lesson but I need your advice about how to remove the baked on soot filth tomorrow. I’m thinking mechanical torture but am open to reason.

Grrr,

Darryl

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lou1661's right about the caustic soda, but you can sometimes shift it if you soak in first in biological washing powder/liquid dissolved in hot-ish water, too.
No idea why, because soot is carbon, but it can also be shifted with washing soda and fairy liquid...and a lot of elbow grease.

One of the glass fibre pens shifts if off fine details and awkward corners, but it's still a lot of work.
Generally just getting enough off to not make a mess of bags, etc., is fine.

M

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If it has to go, brushing as suggested.
After that I would high gloss polish it. So the new soot does not adhere so easily plus you can use it as a mirror, both emergency and shaving!

If brushing does not work, sandblasting with crushed nut shells.
But then you are spending money which is crazy.

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
If it has to go, brushing as suggested.
After that I would high gloss polish it. So the new soot does not adhere so easily plus you can use it as a mirror, both emergency and shaving!

If brushing does not work, sandblasting with crushed nut shells.
But then you are spending money which is crazy.

Yeah this is just about getting it into decent shape and maintaining it. I’m like this with shiny thingsss...... black! Spray it matte black!! Ta-daaaahhhh....

Nomad666

Nov 6, 2015
BC Canada
if it bothers you that much throw it out and get a new one after every use.... Really!!!! is this an ADHD thing or is this a millennial living in a sterilized bubble thing?
I just want to know is all...

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
My mum used to use rhubarb leaves in boiled water to remove baked-on carbon from pans etc. I know it's the wrong time of year for rhubarb but it might be worth thinking about in future.

All she did was boil the rhubarb leaf in a big pan and chuck the sooty / carbonised item in and let it cook for a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE