Removing a clipper handle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hi all,
Planning to re-handle my old clipper (I have the plain olive plastic one) any tips on removing the blade from the original handle?
Cheers!

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i wouldn't if i where you. clippers have very short tangs which don't lend themself to easy re-handling.

you can get a good stick tang blade for around £10 which will be easier to fix and stronger. there are lots of good scandinavian makes (can't remember the names off the top of my head) and hundreds of blades to chose from.

pete

bernie66

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2007
wirral uk
www.downsizer.net
Agree with above, I chiseled most of the handle off one then melted the rest off and had murder trying to rehandle, took several goes before it glued fast into an oak handle. Not recommended.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well cheers guys, advice taken... Guess I'll try and find a suitable blank. Never had a go at making a knife so perhaps im better off getting a kit to start off with? Or are they not much cop?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
great blade and functional handle, just not pretty. dead easy to sharpen too-razor sharp.
Indeed I have used moras for years and are a great knife... Just want something more aesthetically pleasing, but havent got the money for a woodlore clone :(

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I've made about 5 knives from karesuando's blades, they are great, and no complaints so far! Just make sure you get one with a long stick tang rather than a japenese tang.

Hardworms

May 23, 2007
Huddersfield
Hi all,
Planning to re-handle my old clipper (I have the plain olive plastic one) any tips on removing the blade from the original handle?
Cheers!

I have removed the handles on several of the old Moras, and the clipper is essentially the same. I just used a hack saw, and sawed through it at the mid point. Then position the knife vertically and saw towards the blade. The blade is a b*gger to rehandle, but it can be done, and can give brilliant results. I did it twice because I think the blades are fantastic but hated the handle. Don't be put off by anyone, just do it, and if you need advice just let me know.
I'll post some links when I find them.

DSC03923.jpg

Photo0171.jpg

Last edited:

Hardworms

May 23, 2007
Huddersfield
Found some resources you might find helpful.

This first thread Depicts my second attempt at a Mora rehandling project.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40662&p=531486&highlight=#post531486

This is a thread depicting x-rays of mora handles to give you an idea of what the tangs look like. The top one is the knife that I have worked with, the one underneath it is the clipper. As you can see the tangs are virtually identical.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums...-pimped-a-Mora-2000&highlight=rehandling+mora

This thread also depicts my second Mora mod, but includes a tutorial on how I made it. I'm sure there are many other ways to do it, but I found that this definitely works and has never so much as wobbled in that handle, even under strenuous use.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?79094-2nd-Frost-s-Mora-Modification&highlight=

This thread depicts my first attempt at a Mora rehandling. My little brother now owns this knife, it's his main user and he has never reported a problem.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?78134-Frost-s-Mora-Mod&highlight=

This can be done. The Moras are too good to leave them in those crappy plastic handles. Go for it buddy, you'll have a great time doing it and if it goes wrong spend another tenner, buy another and start over.

All the best,

Josh.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
hi guys, thanks for all the great replies! Hardworms: i really like what you have done there particularly the 'faux full tang' one. I think perhaps it would be easier for me to buy the longer tang blade, however as i have two clippers gathering dust im gonna give it a go. As you say if it all goes wrong it was only a tenner :). Ill let you know how it goes! Thanks

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I've rehandled both my Mora's without any problems whatsoever. Both have been done for over a year now and the handles haven't come up despite taking a hammering.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE