Rememberance Day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Being an ex squaddie today always brings to mind a poem.

The Soldier, By Rupert Brook

IF I should die, think only this of me;
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

rememberance.jpg

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Excellent Dave.

Rudyard Kipling said it well,

"Its Tommy this and its Tommy that, and its chuck him out the brute.
But its hero of the country when the guns begin to shoot!"

Lest we forget the freedom they bought us, and continue to buy us with their young lives!

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Indeed, our warriors should be remembered and prayed for each day, but to have set aside a day especially for them, truly is an honorable gesture on the part of the people. And on that day, our minds may find thoughts of what they do for us, but in our hearts, our heart of hearts, we know what they have sacrificed and will continue to sacrifice, so that we can voice and live our lives and feel that we are safe for yet another year. Without concern and without fear. Should the last warrior fall, who amoung us would becken to the call? Indeed, who would give up all, so that others would not fall?

Sorry, felt a bit philosophical. :wink:

c2518

Nov 1, 2004
Cumbria
We need to always remember that the freedoms we enjoy today were paid for by young men and women who were willing to lay down their lives for their country.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
c2518 said:
We need to always remember that the freedoms we enjoy today were paid for by young men and women who were willing to lay down their lives for their country.
Indeed. I will always remember Anders Lassen, the danish soldier who served under the SBS and later under SAS during WW2. He was given the Victoria cross for his courage.

9'th of April 1945.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What saddens me about it is,these brave lads fought and died for their country/land/people and way of life,and just look what we have done with their country after they had won this victory.Shameful.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
There are times when the political correctness which is taking over modern life is an insult both to the people it purports to protect and particularly to the people we remember today. The spiritual freedom of bushcraft and other pastimes within the countryside is fast becoming our only refuge from the nonsense which ruins much of modern life. The poignancy of the First World War poets is particularly acute on this day. We must never forget......

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I am more than comfortable with people quietly remembering those who died in wars, but I would be interested to know who instituted rememberance day. Was it a family member or .....?
Shouldn't we also spend time thinking of ALL those who died in conflict, the elderly, the young, the weak and all the innocent?

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
I work in a noisy joinery shop but at 11:00 o'clock we all stopped for two minutes of silence.apart from the silence the thing that got me was that I was looking out of the workshop window over Aldershot (the home of the british army). How many people was I looking over who were being affected now with loved ones in Iraq or had been inspired to join up by what their grandparents gave us!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Rememberance day is about remembering everyone who died for this country by they soldier. sailor or fireman during the blitz ect. It is our countrys one day to offer its thanks for their sacrific.

Interestingly those idiotic do-gooders who are so rapidly sending the country these people died for down the pan with their stupid political correctness and positive descrimination ect now want to stop rememberance day. :yikes: However the local news went out last night and did a poll of teenagers opinions and a whooping 87% of kids thought we should keep it as it was still pertinant to them as much as to their grand parents.

Sometimes I believe there is hope for the future.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
At the going down of the sun , we shall remember them

I've been on rememberance parades more years than I can remember , I have never noticed any less people there than the year before . The only people who are getting less and less are the veterans of the second world war, but even they , in the disabiltys and old age manage to pay their respects

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Gary said:
Interestingly those idiotic do-gooders who are so rapidly sending the country these people died for down the pan with their stupid political correctness and positive descrimination ect now want to stop rememberance day. :yikes:
Gary that unbelievable how some people would want to stop Remembrance Day. To tell the truth it makes me sick. Anti war or pro war it doesn’t make a dam difference.
A good friend of mine died ten years ago in Bosnia protecting the Muslim town of Gorazde whilst working as United Nations. A top lad, who died far from home at a young age to make a better life for people he didn’t even know. Remembrance Day, is his day. Why would anyone want to take that away?

For anyone who has seen war and the effects it has on normal family people like us on whatever side knows it’s bad news ,but isn’t that why we remember?

Lest we forget

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Den I fully agree. I have had friends both injured and killed in places as far flung as Bosnia and Northern Ireland, all as you say young lads.

Here, but for the grace of god stand I, as I have been in some scary stuff too but those of us who survived can laugh about it afterwards those who werent so lucky cant, they have no voice say ours. And as they, in their honour and duty, gave their lives for those they love I feel it is we who out of honour and duty to them who should be their voices against the politically correct ignorance that is sweeping this land.

I dont blame the do-gooders, how can they know what war is like? For it is the body of the young soldier which protects them and keeps them safe in their idealogical world while he lays down his live in the real world. But as I have said before 'evil only triumphs when good men do nothing!'

Even the simple act of wearing a poppy gives the fallen a voice.

Lest we forget.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE