relying on fire ?

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
should i be relying on fire when on a night out or should i have a backup plan aswell
if so what would you all recommend on a tight budget and minimum space as walking ?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I always have some sort of stove, plenty of options out there. I like meths stoves for their lightness as a back up.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A little diy Cat stove and 4 oz squeezy bottle of meths usually accompany my hobo stove.

A backup stove and fuel for 5 oz and not much room taken up. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
should i be relying on fire when on a night out or should i have a backup plan aswell
if so what would you all recommend on a tight budget and minimum space as walking ?

If you think that you'll have to rely on a fire and all that it entails (having access to enough fuel, the time, tools & energy to process it, the ability to store it in a dry place, to keep that fire stoked through the night and to deal with the resulting ashes the following day) think about what the implications would be if any part of that sequence failed -

As for recommendations, a covering tarp, groundcloth, sleeping bag, bivi bag, warm clothing etc etc etc.

It can all be done on a budget but it depends upon what you already have access to.

ATB

Ogri the trog

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
It's always a good idea to carry a little stove, if your planning to have a fire and not use a stove just take a small coke can or better yet a monkey boy stove just incase the fire fails you.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you take a Honey stove or hobo stove your still relying on fire so take a little stove using a fuel other than wood, small gas stove or a small Trangia 27.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
If you do use a wood fire, it should always be contained so that you can "leave no trace". On a tight budget, make a hobo stove for this purpose from a used food can. As others advise: take a back up, you can make an alcohol burner easily for free (and it is fun, addictive even). So, a complete lightweight, compact system for free. The hobo stove acts as a wind screen and pot stand when using the alcohol burner.

Elen Sentier

If you do use a wood fire, it should always be contained so that you can "leave no trace". On a tight budget, make a hobo stove for this purpose from a used food can. As others advise: take a back up, you can make an alcohol burner easily for free (and it is fun, addictive even). So, a complete lightweight, compact system for free. The hobo stove acts as a wind screen and pot stand when using the alcohol burner.

I can't recall if anyone's already said it but when I use a Honey/Hobo (or even a gas stove perhaps) I put a piece of welder's mat underneath to save the grass/earth from sparks and heat and find it helps a lot.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi Mandos...regardless if i can find fire wood or not i always take a hexy-stove of some type...i bring my Brit.hexy or my Germ. Esbit or my wing stove all burn hexy/Esbit/Trioxane tabs... mind you these are used to heat up chow and make a brew and not made to cook a three course meal...but thier is nothing to spill in the pack and easy clean up and put away... vince g. 11B INF...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Dhhhhhhhhhh ??? :confused: I'm not understanding that. Isn't a gas stove fire ??? Is it plasma already ??? It certainly ain't water :lmao:

The point is gas or oyher fuels simply require the touch of a match to light. A woodburning stove still leaves the problem of finding dry fuel or trying to light wet fuel.

And NO! Most of us don't really consider a gas fire a TRUE fire,

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dhhhhhhhhhh ??? :confused: I'm not understanding that. Isn't a gas stove fire ??? Is it plasma already ??? It certainly ain't water :lmao:

Santaman summed it up, hobo or Honey stove need wood which you can't always rely on finding or getting to work, gas stove uses gas, Trangia burns alcohol and both light instantly.

Subject to the demands of my bladder, I like to make my first brew without having to leave my sleeping bag when cold camping :yelrotflm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE