Reindeer skins.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I was passing a "curiosity" shop today, and saw an amazing skin/fleece in the shop. Went in, and it was a magnificent reindeer skin. Trouble is, it was 120 quid. So two questions:

1. Is that a bit expensive?

2. Seeing as its about the same price as an Exped down mattress (9DLX I believe), would it be a better alternative?

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
That's a bit expensive mate, the silicone backed ones designed for outdoor use are selling for £115 on Nordic outdoors ATM, swmbo won't let me have one though :(

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have one I traded on here, I don't know about the warmth of the exped mats, but sleeping on a hide is the warmest I have been!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That one is a bit on the pricey side, they're toasty but quite bulky to pack.

Bearclaw do them for £65

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
It depends Andy ~ (very roughly) what approximate dimensions was it?

I named my large hide 'Roomdolf' ~ full length of a US army cot* and draped almost to the ground on either side (about as wide as your average hide is in length). Depending on the grade of the hide, the new/going price for a Roomdolf size hide would be between £130 and £150 ~ The cheapest I've seen is in a sale at £125.

* This type

GELERT-SUPERLIGHT-CAMP-BED.jpg

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Sounds expensive. I paid £65 at the outdoors show a couple of years back. Tbh i find sheepskin more versatile and less bulky

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Tbh i find sheepskin more versatile and less bulky

On the other hand I find the reindeer skins lighter than sheepskins. It might be that the best, or calfskins, are reserved for domestic markets and the rest are shipped to Central Europe. You cannot also compare tanned skins to the dried ones.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The last time Leprevo ( admittedly about 2 years ago!) had them in, they were around £35 each, so shop around.

To be honest, they shed far too many hairs for my liking and they are also bulky but they certainly are very warm and comfortable in use.

R.B.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
They're currently £49.93 - if that doesn't include VAT that makes it about £60, which is more-or-less what I paid

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE