Reindeer skin prep inuit style

micah

Oct 30, 2006
london
In Northern Wilderness we are told that the inuits didn´t tan the skin but just scraped it and then put some warm water on it. They claim that the skin can be softened enough this way. Does anyone know any more detail about this method of skin preparation? I shot a reindeer this summer and the skin has been in my freezer every since.
Micah

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Lotta Rahme wrote the gospel on traditional northern tanning and in particular the tanning techniques of the northern peoples:

Leather: Preparation and Tanning by Traditional Methods

She's considered one of the best tanners in the world and certainly the leading authority on traditional techniques -- especially when it comes to tanning fish hides.

Her website is here: http://www.lottasgarveri.se/English.html

Next time I'm in Stockholm, I'm making the pilgrimage to her workshop to meet her...

micah

Oct 30, 2006
london
Dogwood,
Thanks for the reply. I will check out her website.
I notice that you are in SF. I used to live in Cupertino. In fact I was up in the forests on the edge of the Tahoe National Forest a few weeks ago (currently in Laguna Beach but am returning home (Iceland )in a few days). Now that I am so much into the outdoors I wish I were back in the US!
Micah

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE