Reindeer hide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 3, 2005
Devon - Dartmoor
I don't know if anyone will be able to help me with this but don't ask don't get as we say in my family.

At the Midland Game Fair I bought two reindeer hides. I was given advice on how to waterproof the skin (I think it therefore was only oil tanned), and warned about how they shed. Having had a foot square of reindeer around for ages before (my fiance's) I know just how much they can shed. Now his piece of hide is carefully kept in a pile of hides used as backgrounds in photos. I would like to be able to take one of the reindeer hides with us when camping (we don't tend to camp far from the car because we spend most of our spring/summer/autumn camping at shows) but I'm wondering if anyone knows whether if I do my hide will just shed to bald patches?

Solving this problem would also mean that the other one might end up as a cape for winter. That is if I can convince our lurcher puppy that just because something is hairy or fluffy doesn't mean it needs to be pulled apart.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
The problem I think is not so much that they shed per-se, but that the hairs are hollow, and therefore quite brittle. Pressure and movement (eg walking on it excessively) will cause more breakage. Having said that, it depends on how you think of your hide. For me, it's to keep me warm, and I accept that some damage will occur each time I use it, and when it eventually gets too tatty and worn out, I can buy another.

Jan 3, 2005
Devon - Dartmoor
Well from experience it is whole hairs that get shed. And whilst I now have a contact for more reindeer hides I get very sentimental about hides and skins. Although all leather knife sheaths I've ever worked on have been sold, some of my hides are very dear to me. I'd never sell my first bunny skin for example. I'd just like to make this hide last a bit since I'm wanted a reindeer hide for the last two and half years now and I put myself more indebt to get these (still no post-uni course job yet).

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
You metioned something about oil-tanned? I don't know about the english reindeer hides, but the ones we get here come in two varieties, one tanned for indoor use, and one more or less dried for outdoor use. And the soft indoor version will under no circumstances last if used in the wild. It will shed, get wet and eventually rot.

The dried ones can be waxed up and used i rain, snow and sleet without a trace of wear and tear. Though they are quite heavy, they usually get used a lot.

Earthpeace

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2006
France
You will find that the raindeer skin has been tawed ( not tanned) using Alum like most fur are, which is way the person who sold it you said to oil it. If the skin has been tawed it will be white/cream colour if you get it wet it could start falling a part. Although I have wash older tawed skins ok, you just have to make sure it drys fully afterwards.
If you oil the skin well this will not happen it can get wet no problem but still don't leave it wet/damp .
Neats foots oil works good but I would use want the man advised.
Ied is right deer hair is very brittle but hair shedding can be coursed by the skin being tanned/tawed when the animal was moulting or by the skin not being tanned fast enough.

Bearclaw

Jan 9, 2007
Bedfordshire
PVA glue is a good way to protect the underside of the skin,

Make up a pva and water mix and coat it on the skin, let it dry properly and naturally afterwards.

Also shedding of the fur, is a common misconception, the fur doesnt actually shed, it snaps, reindeer fur is hollow unlike deer fur, so you should only ever end up with a skin with very short stubbly fur.

It also depends on where youy store it, keep it sotred ina cool room or shed/garage, and then once a year you can hang it up and run a hoover attachement over it, this will keep it looking and working well for a long time.

Cheers
BearClaw

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE