Reflector Ovens

After some advice!

Has anybody made their own or bought a resonably priced reflector oven?

Planning on making some bread in the woods with a mental health project and 'The simple little sourdough & outdoor baking book' recommends these are simple and easy to use.

Your experiences very much appreciated!

Thanks

Leo

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Been trying to make one for a while now, The design is simple enought o make yourself but have been waiting out on some free metal and havnt quilt built up enough yet. I bought i grill tray from the local home store and plane to house it in the centre of a tiangle sided reflector with higes in the middle so the triangle sides break and fold in on it self. Rubbish description i know but hopefully that makes sense and a nice easy construction once you have the metal sheet

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Love the book. Just downloaded it for £2.14. Feel some baking coming on ( or more correctly feel like eating a lot of bread and cake!):lmao:
Many thanks
G

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok, unless I can find something to chop up, how much should i expect to pay for a 20 inch square sheet of 0.03 inch thick (about 1 mil'?) aluminium, in the UK.

Theres some neat plans for making reflector ovens on the net.

Things like fridges tend to be made from sheet mild steel don't they?

ATB

Tom

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Oh I like that idea, foil is always in my possibles pouch, too versatile not to be, nice addition to its uses :You_Rock_
Stephen
I learn eet from a book!! :D

reflector2.jpg

reflector1.jpg

from "Trail Cooking" by John Weiss - ISBN 0-442-29324-0

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
did you manage to sucessfully cook anything in it Steve?
Well I managed to burn the top of a pizza - and make some Armadillo Bannock (crunchy on the outside - soft in the middle :rolleyes: ) - which is pretty much what I manage in the oven at home :eek:
Never got the hang of sourdough though - mine always went rancid in its jar :yuck:

The tricky part is regulating the heat - you can do it by moving the reflector closer or further away from the fire (long sticks for the uprights make it easier to pick up ;) ).

The difference between using a reflector oven and normal campfire cooking is that you need bright flames for the reflector oven to work instead of the usual embers...
and it's tricky trying to keep the flames consistent - and at the right height to suit the oven...

and apparently with the sheet metal ones if the surfaces dull it can have a dramatic effect on how well they work - so no scouring pads!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got one of the ones made by Svante Freden (plans for DIY at http://www.sf-canoe.se/dokument/do_it_yourself_reflector_oven.pdf). I've been thinking about making one of Kraikers (http://www.blazingpaddles.ca/outdoor_cooking/reflector/index.htm), but in Al in order to reduce weight/rusting.

The Svante Freden one is quite nice, but not very large (I typically use a Trangia skillet as a pie-tin inside it), the advantage of Kraikers is size and rear acces.

As to cooking on them; they work fine, but you need a good fire with substancial flames. If you are out with the boil-in-bag crowd it is very, very satisfying being able to toss together a shepards pie (using home-dried mince) or lasanga. Fresh bilberry pie might provoke GBH under such circumstances, so take care.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Never got the hang of sourdough though - mine always went rancid in its jar :yuck:

I've only had problems with my starter once, when I had a lovely one going nicely but a mouse drowned itself in it one night. I mourned a bit when I tossed it out, and started to have a more proper lid. My current container is a small plastic bucket (it came with 1 kg of greek style youghurt, so it is food safe), with a large number of small holes burned into the top (thin wire and a candle to heat it).

The trick with the starter is to feed it daily (weekly if kept in the fridge), with water and flour (mine lives on coarse rye flour; they adapt to the sources, so don't change abruptly). My procedure is to add 0.5 dl flour and an equal amount of cold water, and stir until smooth with a fork. Toss out some when the container gets full (unless you bake frequently). In summer I don't bake as often, so I keep the starter in the fridge; my impression is that they like cooler temps, like our kitchen in the winter (there's never *actually* been frost on the floor, so it is not *that* cold).

It will take a week or so for it to get going, and it will get better with time. They can be froozen, but may take a while to revive properly when thawed.

The tricky part is regulating the heat - you can do it by moving the reflector closer or further away from the fire (long sticks for the uprights make it easier to pick up ;) ).

Trick for temperature check; learn how many seconds you hand hold your hand in an oven with a certain temperature, and use that to test.

and apparently with the sheet metal ones if the surfaces dull it can have a dramatic effect on how well they work - so no scouring pads!

I've been thinking about using some of the Autosol polishing paste on mine (it is sold in auto-parts stores for polishing chrome on cars, I use it for stropping knives; I go through a tube in 5 years or so of anal-retentive sharpening).

Ok, unless I can find something to chop up, how much should i expect to pay for a 20 inch square sheet of 0.03 inch thick (about 1 mil'?) aluminium, in the UK.

Theres some neat plans for making reflector ovens on the net.

Things like fridges tend to be made from sheet mild steel don't they?

ATB

Tom

Go to your local printers - if they are litho, they'll have scrap plates, ask nicely, they should let you have a couple.. shame you're not near Maidstone, I'm sat next to about 300 scrap plates! :D

That looks mouth wateringly good!

Should have a minor word of caution as there are some pretty poisonous treatments applied to sheet metal during the fabrication, sure they will burn off and add some extra seasoning to whatever it is that you are trying to cook!

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
There is a picture in the gallery of a reflector oven I made from 4 plain flat baking tray's and one nonstick (dark) tray. A search on reflector should find it.
I punched holes in the trays and used a thin piece of wire to join them together. When the trays got a bit dull I glued on some Aluminium foil. It works very well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE