Reference Books for Finland!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Hi all (hope this is the right category for the thread :D)

I'm off to Finland in about 6week to take part in a 10month guide training program. One of the things which has been highlighted as an area where people often fail is in terms of natural knowledge and identification.

Bearing that in mind, I'm after some fairly comprehensive reference/ID books for Ferns, Plants, Trees, Fungi, Mammals, Insects etc. which are focused in on the Finnish environment - so fairly flat boreal forests studded with lakes and rivers.

Any help would be much appreciated,

All the best,

Ed

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Damn Ed! I am so happy for ya fella!!
( and a bit jealous mate! )
I can't wait to visit Finland myself , maybe catch you over there sometime.
Take care and good luck.
My best.
Chris.

Jan 2, 2009
Finland
hi ed i'll be seeing you soon then...........
but a note on the books, there are good ones here in finland but they are all in finish. i have had no success in finding any english versions here, so bring what you can. i've been trying amazon but not found any thing like the local books.
i don't visit this site much, so if you have anything to say use the facebook, which i check almost every day.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I noticed on my recent Finnish trip that the bookshops have a lot of 'nature' and hunting books - but as Kevin says, they are all in Finnish. Though this may not be a huge problem as they often have a lot of pictures and the scientific names are of course international.

Nowadays a number of nature guides are based on regions rather than counties. One of the tracking books covers Europe as a whole, as do many field guides to birds.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Ed,
Do you know where you will be staying, or will they move you around?
The reason I ask is that we've got friends in Tampere at Uni there and at Nokia, so we're over about twice a year at mo. One of them wanted to pay me (little money but enough to lve on) for a couple of years to do a phd with them.
So stay in touch, we could bring out the bits of stuff you miss.. cake, ale etc.. a sort of British resupply. Bacon Butties?
Sounds like a great adventure.
George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE