Reeves/Fox FiddleBack Maple

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
reevefox31758ua.jpg

I have had my Lee Reeves double bit Nessmuk ax for a couple of weeks and have been trying it out for an assortment of small tasks. It is really working nicely. This weekend I got a few good shots of it along with a small companion knife forged by Wendell Fox. These two both have FiddleBack Maple woodwork and are both forged, so I think they make a nice set.

I have not used this Wendell Fox utility much for some reason, but it really made for a good companion knife with this ax. I was doing some woodworking/firebuilding tasks trying to get some good images for a later article. This knife and ax combo was not really part of my day, but as I was digging through my knives I spotted this one and figured it was sort of a natural with the ax.

Anyway, this is another chance to shamelessly show this wonderful ax. I have not completely come around to the Nessmuk belief that the double bit pocket ax was the perfect way to go, but I am getting closer.

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Schwert,
What a superb axe! I know it's an impertinent question but how much was it and so you have contact details for the maker?
You are right the knife and axe are well matched. I have a utility knife from Matt Lesniewski in upstate New York which has similar wood but he describes it as tiger maple. Either way it is stunning wood and really sets off the knife and the axe.
Superb.
Regards
Tack

hootchi

Settler
Schwert said:
... I have not completely come around to the Nessmuk belief that the double bit pocket ax was the perfect way to go, but I am getting closer.
Looks like a lovely combination to me. Well done. :biggthump

Just out of interest, why did they think a double bit was necessary? Surely one would do. :?:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
a thin side for nice clean easy splitting of straigh grain.. and a thicker heaver side for smashing through notches ect.. at least thats the reason for it iirc!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Thanks guys. Here is what Nessmuk had to say around 1884...

"I prefer the double blade. I want one thick, stunt edge for knots, deers’ bones, etc., and a fine, keen edge for cutting clear timber." Nessmuk, Woodcraft, Chapter II, Hatchets and Knives

This preference for the double bit gave him a very nice woodcutting tool, but I find I miss the poll for some of my tasks like pounding cedar bark for a tinder nest. However, this ax is a superb tool and as I use it the choices in edge has a lot of merit.

The thread that Hoodoo posted has more info:

A Touch of Elegance

and Lee Reeves site is here:

http://members.tripod.com/ssidders/id69.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE