Recycled knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jondavy

Oct 31, 2007
In a field (Worcestershire)
Firstly hello as this is my first post.

I was sorting through some old stuff in a relatives garage today trying to dig out a grass
box for an old mower, when I eventually got the box I found this sorry looking thing in the bottom of it.
04042008007.jpg

Now i've been looking to get a nice little skinning and gutting knife recently, so I thought i'd see how it cleaned up. I cut the blade down to a more managable size and found that the handle is bone (I thought it was wood at first).

04042008009.jpg

Straightened the handle and sanded it to a more uniform shape, cleaned and sharpened the blade, then started to polish the handle up.

04042008010.jpg

So what would have gone straight in the bin is now a nice little knife, I'm feeling quite chuffed to have saved it seeing as it has a bone handle on it, and the pitting on the blade gives it some character.

04042008015.jpg

Jon.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Well done fella looks like a nice knife good on yer, looks like its been used over the years for cleaning the bottom of the mower. Good job on cleaning it up looks spot on.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Out of interest can you read the makers mark? looks like a mid 19th c table knife, we have one quite similar though with less wear that my daughter uses. It's stamped "a gift for a good child" and is very thin and sharp by modern standards, I picked it up at a boot fair. Better to use it than bin it but I actually rather valued it as it was, not that many people would. I just love to see the wear of generations of use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE