Rectangluar(?) Sleeping bag for hammock use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 29, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi people!

I am after some advice on a sleeping bag for a hammock and tarp set up. I have tried using a RAB down mummy type and this really didn't suit me as I like to have room to move around - plus, I was far to hot on the ground in March! Although, in my hammock in September, one night had a cold back, but didn't have my Thermarest - can't win! I will be using on cycling tours around the UK and in Europe, mainly in the warmer months but i think the best idea is to get a bag which can cope with most weathers. I was thinking of a rectangular bag which can be fully unzipped. Has anyone any suggestions?

I will be purchasing a DD Frontline hammock and tarp with a Thermarest in between the hammock.

Whilst on the subject, are the bridge type hammocks better than gathered? I know its personal preference but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have a vango square bottomed bag, which was my preferred bag whatever the weather, it had a drawstring I could pull and make a hood.
Have you thought about the pod type bags that gooutdoors sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
yeah, I've often thought of two rectangular sheets which can be used separately as an under and over quilt but with full length zips on both sides so they can be zipped together to create a bag. Useful for both hammock and ground camping.

I have a mummy bag but when in the hammock I just unzip it open it up and use it as a top quilt [with a under-quilt I got for Christmas].

Cub Kaa

May 31, 2015
North Devon
I have a vango square bottomed bag, which was my preferred bag whatever the weather, it had a drawstring I could pull and make a hood.
Have you thought about the pod type bags that gooutdoors sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a square bottomed rectangular Vango. I also have a mummy type, I can't stand the mummy one, in fact it's been relegated to a spare just in case when I'm in scouting camps. I use it with a camp blanket, ( a fleece blanket with a load of scout badges sew on. Usually warm enough , last weekend I had the zip in done and was still warm. I hate my movement being restricted as with the mummy bags.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I used to use a rectangular bag for hammock camping but have actually found that sleep pods (like a wide mummy bag) work great, the shape of them lends itself to sleeping in hammocks quite well. I picked my lightweight up on Amazon for around £15 and in honesty works ok for winter. But I tend to take a piece of carpet underlay to stop cold **** syndrome. Imo it works better than commercial roll mats and rolls up small enough to actually fit inside the same bag as the sleeping bag.

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
And for me it's gathered hammock every time, you can lie almost flat in them by lying diagonally across them as opposed to north to south. It's a trade off but for me purely on versatility, weight and ease of setup it's gathered. But as you said it's personal preference

I have the Snugpack Underquilt and Top Quilt, its a perfect set-up for me.
But and it's a big but........ This system isn't of any use for sleeping on the ground.

I find the gathered hammocks better personally, as it cocoons me and I can't fall out where as i have toppled over on a bridged hammock (admittedly I was under the influence slightly... but still)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE