Reconnaissance on the Taiga

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I decided to get off the beaten track one day in July in order to find new cloudberry picking spots in the Northern Finland. Altogether, I walked some 30 kilometers on the trail during the day. A Finn who has found a good berry spot never reveals the location, so do not tempt me by asking the exact locations where the photographs were taken! I let the photographs speak for my behalf:

1) Logging roads like on the photograph are quite abundant in these parts of the country, although rarely visited by vehicles.

Logging_Road.jpg

2) Female Western Capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus) protecting her nest behind her by making herself highly visible to the intruder.

Bird1.jpg

3) Approaching a peak, about half way to the tree line.

Approaching_Peak.jpg

4) The taiga.

The_Taiga.jpg

5) Easy-to-maintain filling station near a cabin.

Filling_Station.jpg

6) The must-to-have photograph of the firewood corner of the cabin. Fiskars dominates here.

Firewood_Corner.jpg

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
7) River crossing is easy when the rivers are not overflowing, as they usually are between April and June.

River_Crossing.jpg

8) The shin breaker.

Rocky_Hill.jpg

9) The Presidential Suite offered by Metsähallitus, the Luxury Suite next door is without the mattress.

Room_Reservation.jpg

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
8) A small swamp equipped with planks for easy crossing. One will come around such a swamp every few kilometers or so when walking a fairly straight line in terrain.

Small_Swamp.jpg

9) An average size ant hill. The largest I have seen in Finland are about twice the size. This one was perhaps around 1 meter in height.

Average_Ant_Nest.jpg

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
That ant hill is amazing. I've never seen such a thing before. Ours are only a few inches high at most, though are spread out to sometimes 6 to 8 feet in diameter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE