Recommendations for waxed canvas tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I am thinking about getting myself a new tarp for xmas.
I really fancy a waxed cotton tarp maximum size 3mx3m. I have zero experience with canvas gear so recommendations you guys have will be much appreciated.

also how often you recommend reproofing them.

Thanks in advance

N

Nomad

I looked into this recently, and didn't find much that's oriented towards bushy use. What I found was very heavy and probably aimed more at builders and the like. Waxed 18oz cotton is pretty heavy when you do the numbers. Dry, it works out at around nearly 4kg for a 3x3 tarp, and my experiments with waxing lighter fabrics suggest that the wax adds about 50% to the weight. I also looked at a place in the US (etarp.com), but they were pricey for their lightest offering (treated for mildew and waterproofing, but not waxed), and that was still very heavy. They wanted $168, which I reckon is probably high enough to get hit with VAT and any duty. Also considered the completely untreated 'reenactor' tarp that a German outfit sell on eBay, which is cheap (about £35, I think) but still heavy and has little in the way of attachment points.

In the end, I got one made by bilmo-p5 of this 'ere parish (it just arrived today). After considering some ready waxed fabrics, I went with unwaxed, showerproof burberry cotton (burberry is a type of weave, not a type of check pattern that looks naff), which turns out to be extremely windproof - very difficult to blow through it (unwaxed) when I hold a layer over my mouth (easily good enough to make a windproof smock or the like). It's also very light at about 6oz per square yard - the full 3x3 tarp, with 19 attachment points like a DD, weighs 1.65kg. (My base calculations from a small sample, not accounting for reinforcement patches and webbing loops, came to 1.52kg, so the finished item is right in line with my expectations.) I plan to wax it myself when I get round to ordering the several tins that will be needed, and that will take it up to about 2.5kg, or around 5.5lb. Far better than the heavier options I considered at first.

I had a quick look at the tarp when I got in from work, and it looks like a quality, well made product. I gather Ian (bilmo) doesn't carry stock of this fabric, so I went with 7m instead of 6 (1.5m wide, so 6 for a 3x3). The extra takes care of the reinforcing patches and the surplus means I have matching material should I ever need to do any repairs (which is perfectly feasible with waxed cotton, of course). By the time I've splurged on the tins of wax (about £25 for 8 100g tins), I'm probably looking at close to the pre-VAT price of the one from eTarp, but waxed, lots of loops, and probably less than 1/3rd of the weight (the eTarp guy said shipping weight would be about 20lbs).

I have to say that the service from Ian was excellent - can't fault it. I don't know if that particular fabric is still available, but I dare say an equivalent can be found, and he should be able to supply something made from waxed cotton as well. I would definitely recommend him if you're looking for something that's at all similar to what I was after.

Last edited by a moderator:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
One thought: does it have to be waxed? Would not something like fabsil do a similar job and mean that the tarp is a good deal lighter?

skids

Oct 19, 2012
Gloucestershire
Check out Bribooutdoors on YouTube. He has designed a canvas tarp for this purpose. I believe they have gone into production, also they are made in UK.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Hadn't considered fabsil, im just after a very durable tarp. I'm leaning more to traditional kit now and really fancied a canvas tarp.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I had one made by bilmo-p5 of this parish from waxed cotton, cracking bit of kit

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE