Recommendations for an extremely waterproof, breathable low maintenance jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Oh wisdom of the forum, help me in my quest...

Criteria:
Budget - about £100's
Colours - subdued, doesn't have to be OG
Type - Zippered jacket, not a smock.
Lightweight, for summer and winter user (with layering)
Hard wearing
Breathable
Wired hood
Long fitting - preferably covers my bottom.
No brand preference
Prefer not to have to treat it with chemical after every downpour to keep it waterproof
Want it to be storm proof for a day out in the rain.

Looked at the Ridgeline torrent but it doesn't look very long, and the roar which I hear isn't very breathable.

Suggestions?

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
No wish to comment on your bottom.. nor mine! But find many of 'today's' rain jackets a bit short.

Breathability is a mute point. For me, unless there is oodles of ventilation, moisture will build up. I've been using one of the Helikon ECWCS Gen ? ( forgot ) jackets. Bit short, but does everything else very well. Under arm ventilation runs near full length of the arm - two way zip and stud so you can adjust etc.

This far, only good things to say about it.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Meets with most of your criteria except price, but i've had a couple of very very wet trips in my Montane Further faster jacket and so far i'm really really impressed.

Kept me bone dry on a very very wet afternoon and evening in the Lakes

20140512_203727_zpsn7x8lefd.jpg

Breathes better than any shell jacket i've tried, not exactly light weight at 425g but not bad either.

Only downsides are the price and fit, Montane class it as a "Active Mountain" the large was a bit too tight for me so went XL which is a bit too long in the arms and a bit too baggy.

Can't say as i mind as long as i'm dry, but it would certainly be worth trying a couple of sizes on before buying.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Not easy to hit every one of those criteria. First thought for a longer, breathable waterproof was the Rohan Hilltop, but the main problem there is it costs around double your budget. Outside of eBay and the occasional Rohan clearance I suspect that's way too steep. Paramo still make a few longer styles. I find them comfy for much of the year, durable and waterproof, but some people don't. Best way to find a bargain tends to be to look at Paramoextras on eBay, or Paramoseconds which is also on eBay.

If you can compromise on a slightly shorter length then consider the Marmot PreCip. It's generally about mid-bum in terms of length and the hood isn't wired (in common with many American jackets its peak is allegedly stiffened, but not much) but you can almost always find them at a serious discount and in a very wide range of colours. Large zipped vents help if you're working up a sweat, although the material is decently breathable anyway. I use one for general travel and cycling and another, in a larger size for additional layering, on some hiking trips; both were on sale and I don't think I paid more than £40 for either of them.

You could always make yourself a rain skirt/kilt to wear with the jacket and bring the length down to mid-thigh or further.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I too have the Paramo Cascada, mine is 17-18years old now and apart from a tiny spark hole is as good as new, but I would not wear it in the woods it is far too delicate for that

Jul 14, 2014
uk
Recently got and have been usung the Haglofs Endo on the bike.
Having had standard Gore bike jackets before the active shell is in a different league for breathability.
I also was suspect of how tough/tear resistant the material was. But having ragged the arm across a broken sticking out branch, on my last ride thought it was curtains but not a mark. Should say I caught this branch hard enough to mark my arm.
And totally waterproof a very very good bit of kit.
Eliza Annis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE