Recommendation for trainers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
You might look at trail running shoes, i know you arent running but they do grip well on mud and the like. The toes are usually more solid to avoid rock kicks

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If your only problem is the weight you may still be able to wear boots. Bird hunters (quail, grouse, pheasant, etc. NOT duck or waterfowl) wear kangaroo hide featherweight boots that are as light as most trainers or almost so (2 or 3 pounds a pair in size 9; slightly heavier in larger sizes) They ain't cheap though.

Cabela's, Orvis, etc. and most of the usual sources stock them. Just google Kangaroo hide bird hunting boots.

Last edited:

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
Had a pair of Keen Targhee - Waterproof and totally brilliant - I wore them 12 hours a day for about 2 years, well worth the cash

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I wear a pair of solomon trail shoes often and find them very good, not too expensive either, i think my pair was 60-80 quid.

Tonyuk

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
Vivobarefoot primus trail SG - extremely light but tough. I laughed all the way up and down my first boggy mountain in them Require some adjustment to thin and flat sole but i really love them and my knees do too (i adjusted by wearing urban version for work all the time, swapping in steelies when needed). Could be an expensive gimic but I'm sold. Join the 'club' to get reduced prices (5-25%) on end of season sales is how I bought further iterations after the first pair.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I think the best thing to do would be go to a bricks and mortar shop that will analyse how you walk and match you up with the correct trainer. Some of the high street shops here offer that service anyway. Once you know what to look for I'd recommend asics. I've always found the ones with gel in the heels to be great trainers -especially since it's be good to take some of the shock away from the damaged areas.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I'd recommend asics. I've always found the ones with gel in the heels to be great trainers -especially since it's be good to take some of the shock away from the damaged areas.

+ 1 Asics Gel Kayano.

Comfiest trainers i've ever worn :)

OMark

Mar 26, 2017
UK
My go to shoes are the Salomon Speedcross. These things have killer grip in almost all conditions and the lugs are spaced with are great for mud and wet. It allows the mud to fall off much better than other tread patterns.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I got operated for a bad knee ( torn and badly healed ligaments, split, crushed and calcified meniscuses, worn and partially missing cartillage) a few weeks ago.

The surgeon told me today that I need to wear shoes as light as possible for the future, as the ligaments abovr the knee are badly damaged too.

So I need to stop using my trusty old RedWing Red Setter boots. Too heavy to lift for the knee system.

My question to you guys is, which trainer has the best grip in wet, slippery conditions?

I do not care about the look, colour, brand or cost.

How about a pair of Salomons? I've had good experiences with their boots, but both my folks use pairs of their goretex trail trainers. I was surprised how light they were!

Feb 15, 2017
London
theidleman.com
People have already mentioned them but Asics are really great trainers. Particularly the gel ones which support the feet really well. The soles are always good and the whole quality is great. There are a few different Asics in this men's trainers section.

Hope this helps!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE