Recommend me something 'choppy'

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
So, I have an Enzo trapper in 01 that I handled myself in Ziricote and Oak that fulfils my camp duties nicely. However, I'm longing for that blade that just asks to really chop and is suited to the slightly heavier stuff. Sure I could use my enzo but I prefer to have that for the finer stuff...

I had an MOD knife a year or two ago and that fits the bill nicely, however, I'm keen to try something else. Open to various styles, grinds and non stainless steels etc... and a budget of upto £120 for the right blade. So far I've seen the Nessmuk in Large or Trekker version's from FGYT or the FieldcrafterUK. I'd want to handle it myself too.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Duncans stuff is born to chop ( FGYT )
Had the chance of a play down at Dorset Blades HQ a couple of weeks back.
Nessmuck XL is the way I would go.

Best.

C.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
For the budget you have for a blade only why dont you design your own and commission one of us makers to make it a reality?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
How about a Leuku style of blade. I have used mine for chopping slashing and as a drawknife.
I also use a FGYT Nessie but as HillBill said for your budget you could get your ideal blade made for you.

If your wanting to chop/split why not an axe. I'm looking at modding a Martindale machette to a big camp knife.

Why don't you draw a few designs and pass them to Mark and let him take a look and see if he can make any suggestions to profile/shape and size.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up a Becker BK2 on here last week, I've spent the afternoon in the woods today and used it for splitting down some birch rounds for the fire. Not as pretty as some of the other options but I think it's going to be a good work horse.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Esee 6 is a good knife and really robust. Its a good compromise as (I will be crucified for saying this I'm sure) you can baton it or use it like a mini parang but still small enough to be a useable knife. I had one a while ago but found it a bit bulky and couldn't discreetly slip it into my pocket whilst walking through the car park after a weekend away. I do miss it at times but I now have a Hultafors trekking axe, a Chinese copy Machete, a Mora Frost, a Laplander saw, a Ray Mears Mora and a Fieldcrafter UK knife so I'm well catered for.

The Hultafors is a really good axe, nice handle, good weight and really well priced (IIRC about £25 delivered if you shop around). Nice and compact too.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Some interesting ideas here, cheers.

I value that an axe is the more correct chopping and splitting tool but I have a bushy mate who I can borrow a GB SFA from when needed. I've also got a long term project axe that needs some edge attention shall we say! I have a bow and folding saw too. Just fancy something a little different if, not quite as big as a machete or suchlike. I'm still looking at the options and getting a feel for what I'd like.

Time for a brew and to get thinking.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
1F3BCC6A-5185-4522-BCAB-F6D1EE5C628B-221-0000000EF1400403_zpsdc1377fd.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE