Recommend me a week in Canada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I have a fighting chance of 2 weeks in Canada June 2013. Its a big place & it would take well over 6 months to do even the highlights. 1 week will be taken up with family etc.

I am after people top suggestions for a week. Thinking of some day canoeing down a river, does anywhere do 1 way hire with kit or supply transfers back to start. Any suggestions welcome.

We were thinking of going to Norway or Sweden, bur 'Somebody' did a post saying it was a similar price to go to Canada

Mike

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would imagine they do. It's common here in the US. Sometimes they let you canoe downstream from the livery and pick you up; whereas others shuttle you upstream and let you canoe back downstream to the livery.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
We did a week canoeing the Turner lake chain above Hunlen falls near Bella Coola. You have to get a float plane in, but check out Tweedsmuir travel as they own the boats and planes. I can recommend the Junker Lake campsite. The best view I've ever seen. I've posted some picks on the photography thread here. Sorry, can't link to them from my phone.

Bella Coola is a nice place to visit too and the lodge there is good. Basic but homely. But I'd go and eat in the town, it's a lot cheaper and bigger portions.

We also spent a week in Vancouver which wasn't too bad either.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Algonquin Park. Hire a canoe, pick some local brains for ideas and knowhow and go for it!

It's only a few hours from big city life too, so if you want to you can get some civilisation* in to your holiday.

* Assuming you find cities civilised.

You don't say where the family commitments have to take place. That might affect where you go.

For folks in Europe I have to say the East coast is a bit closer. Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia are fantastic. Cape Breton is gorgeous. I have family in Nova Scotia, and spent a fantastic week a few years back in Kejimkujik. I hiked it, but you can also do family car camping, (meh), or canoeing (yay). Off the top of my head, I don't know about specific outfitters, but I know there are plenty around. I know there are sea kayak outfitters as well.

As far as the province I live in, while Algonquin is fantastic, at that time of year it will be crowded. Canoeing in French River or Killarney is highly recommended. Temagami is great too. Further out, but not quite as busy.

bearbait

Canadian Rockies is well worth a visit. Road trip yourself from Banff > Lake Louise > Jasper. There are hiking trails from the road, day hikes and shorter. Also consider a trip out onto Athabasca Glacier on a 6WD vehicle (along with lots of other camera-wielding visitors!). For a multi-day canoe trip Whitehorse to Dawson City in the Yukon Territory (YT). You can do shorter one-day trips on the Yukon River with pickup and return from Whitehorse. Google will find you outfitters and details. Beware - there are billions of bitey bugs in the YT in June - but there's also the midnight sun. Bowron Lakes (in B.C.) is a popular multi-day canoe loop. Canoe hire seems possible in B.C. and the YT almost anywhere there's a lake or river with some population nearby.

For tent camping I find the National Park and Provincial Park campgrounds best. Avoid RV campgrounds if you're in a tent if at all possible.

Wherever I go I find that the Rough Guides or Lonely Planet Guides to be way the best travel guidebooks. You could do preliminary planning for your trip by browsing their websites. Or their guidebooks in your local library - if the council hasn't closed it!

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. The family is near Vancouver. Strangely air fairs to Vancouver are cheaper than some to locations further East. Do they fly a Polar route?

Mike

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I would imagine they do. It's common here in the US. Sometimes they let you canoe downstream from the livery and pick you up; whereas others shuttle you upstream and let you canoe back downstream to the livery.

Yeaaaahhh! :eek:

[video=youtube;Uzae_SqbmDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE&feature=pl ayer_detailpage[/video]

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
After much mulling over & looking at many websites. We (Swmbo & Me) are both booked on a 6 day canoe trip

http://wildernessadventures.ca/6daycanoe.html. She is much more willing to go paddling in the wilderness with a guide along.

Each trip is for 5 - 8 people + guide only 3 more needed to book the same dates so it can run.

We are renting a place on the coast by Vancouver for the 1st week.

I have at long last discovered an advantage to getting older :bigok::canoe::canoe:

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE