Recommend me a water filter for Mexico?

Oct 6, 2012
UK
Hi guys.

I'm off to Mexico (Playa Del Carmen so touristy bits) in just over a week and was looking for water filter options, and you guys seem quite knowledgeable about such things.

Now I don't intend to use it to filter river water or whatever, it's main job will be filter tap water. Ideally I'd like a nice size bottle >=750ml to just fill it from a tap (hotel, bar, restaurant whatever) and drink. I don't want to be bothered with tablets, uv steripens, mechanical pumps or whatever, just a nice filter that does the job. From looking around (and its a minefield!) I'm thinking either the Aquamira filter bottle, the Aquamira pro (attach to a bottle), or maybe one of the Sawyer products. The sport Berkey seemed to be recommended, but that doesn't appear to be sold here, and looks the same as the Seychelle/Drinksafe products which seem to have very mixed reviews. The Eco Vessel (which uses Aquamira filters) also seemed good, and at £20 delivered that's not bad?

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

FedUpFrog

Jan 18, 2012
Newport, Gwent
You use a filter to take the lumpy bits out, these are not in tap water. What I think you are actually looking for is a way to chemically treat the water to get rid of the biologicals. Why not just take some purification tablets?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
There is only one which removes all bacteria AND viruses : The Lifesaver bottle. Fill it, pressurise and out comes pure water.

Message carried by abused electrons!

Its a good filter but its overpriced and its not the only one that removes everything. The drinksafe does it all too and it far cheaper.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
TBH you really don't need to bother if you're staying in town; just do like all the other tourists and drink bottled water.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
As Rick states - just buy bottled. That's what I did whenever I was in Mexico. You could ask for "Dos Exes" which tastes even better:)
BTW, DOn't eat fruit unless you peel it first, it will have been washed/rinsed with tap water. SO careful with apples etc. It us difficult to peel a peach (or grape) so you may be best leaving those out of your diet for the duration. Beer is really the solution to your problem. Remember that the Pilgroim fathers only stopped in Plymouth Massachusetts because they had run out of beer and needed to brew a fresh batch (or so they say)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
As Rick states - just buy bottled. That's what I did whenever I was in Mexico. You could ask for "Dos Exes" which tastes even better:)
BTW, DOn't eat fruit unless you peel it first, it will have been washed/rinsed with tap water. SO careful with apples etc. It us difficult to peel a peach (or grape) so you may be best leaving those out of your diet for the duration. Beer is really the solution to your problem. Remember that the Pilgroim fathers only stopped in Plymouth Massachusetts because they had run out of beer and needed to brew a fresh batch (or so they say)

And only drink it out of the bottle, the glass if served in one was washed with local water. And if they try that thing with the slice of lime in the top remove the segment and then beat them with it screaming I WANTED A BEER NOT A ALCOPOP!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
And only drink it out of the bottle, the glass if served in one was washed with local water. And if they try that thing with the slice of lime in the top remove the segment and then beat them with it screaming I WANTED A BEER NOT A ALCOPOP!

If it's served in a comercial place (licensed restaurant, hotel, bar. etc.) the dish washer should be adequate for most of the nasties. No guarantees though. TBH I've never really ever had any problems in Mexico or Panama despite all the dire stories.

But Saudi Arabia is another story altogether.

Oct 6, 2012
UK
Think I might take a simple filter (in a bottle) with me and fill it with purified water where possible, and drink the bottled water anywhere else. Thanks for all the advice :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE