Recommend me a 75mm sleep mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was about to buy the Sea to Summit XT Ether insulated but they are £150 for the regular size. I wanted the wider version which is 60cm wide I think. These cost even more and difficult to find. I then realised I might only use this for car camping or in friends barn etc. So it doesn't have to be ultralight. I see Outwell do a 10cm thick model and I think Vango do one for about £32. I had a sea to summit ultralight version 5cm thick and liked it but can't find it... Any recommendations for something a little more robust than my Exped Synmat UL7 which is comfy but delaminated?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I even never owned a self inflating insulation mat. But so far I am informed Therm-a-Rest mats have a life time warranty.
I think that's a pretty important point.

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
I was about to buy the Sea to Summit XT Ether insulated but they are £150 for the regular size. I wanted the wider version which is 60cm wide I think. These cost even more and difficult to find. I then realised I might only use this for car camping or in friends barn etc. So it doesn't have to be ultralight. I see Outwell do a 10cm thick model and I think Vango do one for about £32. I had a sea to summit ultralight version 5cm thick and liked it but can't find it... Any recommendations for something a little more robust than my Exped Synmat UL7 which is comfy but delaminated?
Defo recommend Vango Shangri La 7.5 cm thick SIM if using the car. https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/sleeping/829-shangri-la-ii-75-grande.html I paid £100. It's more than big enough for 6ft 1 bloke-I am sure I could have managed with something slightly shorter and narrower.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
Exped Megamat!!!!
We did have cheapos but didn't last that long. Without these vast expanses of luxury I'd be camping by myself :) Still cheaper than a hotel. Just ;)

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I have returned a few mats and got replacement ones without any issues.
Same here, got a small hole in mine and they replaced it no problem, no questions asked.

My only regret is I wish I had bought the XL size rather than the regular as I'm a side sleeper and I would've had a little more room.

Thermarest Neoair Xtherm is my model, and it's a brilliant mat, have slept directly on top of snow and not been cold.

Thanks,

Allan

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Reactions: gibson 175

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
Same here, got a small hole in mine and they replaced it no problem, no questions asked.

My only regret is I wish I had bought the XL size rather than the regular as I'm a side sleeper and I would've had a little more room.

Thermarest Neoair Xtherm is my model, and it's a brilliant mat, have slept directly on top of snow and not been cold.

Thanks,

Allan

Hi Allan- I heard thermarest offer a lifetime warranty. This is swaying me toward purchasing Thermarest Basecamp 50mm Sleeping pad (or maybe a Multimat 75,50 or 25mm,as mentioned by Nice65). I have heard a few bad reviews about some (not all) Outwell or Vango 75mm failing after a few months. How easy was it to replace your faulty Thermarest? Did you buy direct from Thermarest? Can I ask where you bought it?

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Hi Allan- I heard thermarest offer a lifetime warranty. This is swaying me toward purchasing Thermarest Basecamp 50mm Sleeping pad (or maybe a Multimat 75,50 or 25mm,as mentioned by Nice65). I have heard a few bad reviews about some (not all) Outwell or Vango 75mm failing after a few months. How easy was it to replace your faulty Thermarest? Did you buy direct from Thermarest? Can I ask where you bought it?
Yeah no probs, bought it from a climbing/outdoor website called Bananafingers.

It doesn't matter if you don't buy directly from Thermarest, as each mat has it's own serial number, and you quote this when contacting the customer service. My receipt was long lost, but they still replaced it as it was one of their mats.

Can't comment on the mats you mention, as the Neoair Xtherm is the only Thermarest product I have ever owned, but they are a good company to deal with, and top quality products.

For UK returns and enquiries the factory and HQ is over the water in Ireland.

Hope this helps,

ATB,

Allan

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
I really like Multimat, good foam in there even if punctured. There used to be a 75mm Camper single, but the 50mm would work. Mine is a 25mm Camper and more comfortable than my Synmat.
Hi Nice65..very intersting. Do you still think your mat would stay inflated and useable even if punctured? If so, that would make it my first choice mat. from the website pics it apears to have solid foam...but it still needs inflating. Wouldn't a puncture allow it to deflate?
Yeah no probs, bought it from a climbing/outdoor website called Bananafingers.

It doesn't matter if you don't buy directly from Thermarest, as each mat has it's own serial number, and you quote this when contacting the customer service. My receipt was long lost, but they still replaced it as it was one of their mats.

Can't comment on the mats you mention, as the Neoair Xtherm is the only Thermarest product I have ever owned, but they are a good company to deal with, and top quality products.

For UK returns and enquiries the factory and HQ is over the water in Ireland.

Hope this helps,

ATB,

Allan

This really helps me massively Alan. Thank you very much indeed.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi Nice65..very intersting. Do you still think your mat would stay inflated and useable even if punctured? If so, that would make it my first choice mat. from the website pics it apears to have solid foam...but it still needs inflating. Wouldn't a puncture allow it to deflate?

This really helps me massively Alan. Thank you very much indeed.
I still managed to get some kip just on the deflated foam of the Multimat. The foam is dense, you can lean on an elbow on one much better than any other mat I’ve had. I won’t include the Synmat in this because it’s more of an insulated air bed than a S/E foam mat.

Also, the customer service guy I spoke to was super helpful when I asked him about the possibility of a Jack Russell walking on it and puncturing. He said he had two Jack Russells and never had a problem. :)

I had a Multimat and an Alpkit Fat Airic and I’ve had punctures on both. The Airic was useless without air, so make sure you pack in the middle of your bag and not rolled up on top like I did as I pushed my way through brambles etc. Doh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE