Recommend a herb/seed grinder please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My aching hands and wrists are easing, but using the big granite mortar and pestle isn't happening anytime soon :sigh:

I used the wee Bodum coffee grinder for aniseed and had to wash it out......not recommended, according to vexed HWMBLT as he has to free the jammed spinning thing every morning since, for his coffee beans :sigh:

I can't be the only person who needs a small electic grinder, something that comes apart easily to be cleaned, something that will pulverise the odd handful of dried herbs or seeds, or wee bits of stuff like cinnamon bark, or star anise, or mustard seed without any fuss or bother.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance,
cheers,
M

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Would it be possible to get yourself a second coffee grinder. A decent burr grinder. These come apart to be cleaned easily. Have a look on eBay for a cheap one.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Basic sealed unit bladed coffee grinder works fine for me (separate to the coffee one)

Then to remove tastes and odours, I grind a scant handful of sea salt (abrasive), followed by dry rice ( absorbing). Comes up clean and sweet in about 30 seconds.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
Umm, well, at the risk of giving away more than I care too, I wonder whether a herb grinder of the sort sold in head shops might be useful? An apparatus that many people are not aware of anyway. Not electric, but you can get titanium ones - for ultralight trail use :rolleyes:

Would a pepper grinder handle some of the seeds? Again, not electric though. Having only recently returned to the world of 240V mains, I am sadly not up to date on current trends in white goods.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Could be worth a look at.

I use one for grinding nuts down. Much will depend how fine you need them and they sre exceptionally robust.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use one of the little shark teeth grinders for small stuff, like parsley, but it's a lot of work with rosemary and it won't touch some of the seeds at all.
Handy though, but that hold and twist action is agony just now :sigh:

Sea salt and rice......maybe ? :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE