Recipe ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
gooseiscooked001.jpg

Anybody know a good recipe for one of these?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yes Canada or upland goose as the Falkland islanders call em.

Any wonderful new recipes? Usually I either roast em in a vinegar and water base or cut off the breast and marinate it in a red wine and pepper but I fancy a change - maybe one of the colonials will have an idea. :?:

Brynglas

Have you been up to Islay yet Gary, I'm sure that one or two of the locals will have an imaginative way of preparing the said bird. Local opinion is, shall we say, firmly divided upon the benefit of several thousand Canada Geese spending time there every year.

I don't know about the Canada Geese, but over the last two years I've been able to make a beautiful confit with the goose, which basically involves a slow roasting of the meat in a covering of goose fat which effectively preserves it, absolutely marvellous. I section the carcass into quarters, rub them liberally with salt and allow to stand in the salt, not covered, just what's been rubbed into them, overnight, longer if possible. I then place them into a roasting tray and just brown them in a hot oven before packing them into a casserole as tightly as possible, cover the quarters as much as you can with rendered goose fat, throwing in some pepper and thyme or sage if you have it, and casserole slowly in a low oven, about 100 degrees Celsius, for as long as you can, probably about three hours. The meat falls off the bone and is delicious. I've done this with both domestic and wild goose and it works very well.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yes Bryn was up there this weekend.

And Thanks RA I am sure the stew recipe will come in handy - I'm partial to a good stew.

:super:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE