Reccomend a travel mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks, Santaman. About $30.00 each, straight off the shelf in the grocery store here in the city.
Yeah. That’s the difference in the exchange rate and the distance I expect. I’m not sure what Amazon is selling them for but they’re still under $18 here in local stores.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have this 20 oz one:

https://www.yeti.com/en_US/drinkwar...wvar_YRAM20_color=navy&cgid=drinkware#start=1

But I had a student come in today with one of these 26 oz things - he was ridiculously impressed with it - said it was great for work (as a carpenter on film sets) ... keeps things hot, keeps things cold.

https://www.yeti.com/en_US/drinkwar...VTR-tBh2vUgiHEAAYASAAEgI4cvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am v. tempted. Needs a fitting steel or plastic cup thoe .. or a sipper like you can get for a nalgene wide mouth bot.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
When did YETI come along? 15 years ago? I had all I needed by then.
However.
My younger next-door neighbor had all Yeti and lots of it. Big coolers for ocean fishing and bear hunting.
Lots and lots of money, methinks.
But
By all accounts, far better quality and performance than simply bragging rights.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
[QUOTE="Robson Valley, post: 1918123, member: 42823
My younger next-door neighbor had all Yeti and lots of it. Big coolers for ocean fishing and bear hunting.
But
By all accounts, far better quality and performance than simply bragging rights.[/QUOTE]

Not that I’ve seen. Just a different cosmetic style (which others are now also doing) and only slightly better performance (which doesn’t carry over into their mugs because their lids are uninsulated. But far, far more expensive. (Some people believe a small cooler is actually worth $300)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada

I remember two years ago going to the big BBQ shop a couple of blocks up from me. Looking at the Yeti coolers and trying to decide which one to get. Then dearest wife pointed out the prices ... which til that point I'd not seen. The Coleman is just fine :)

There's a Yeti the star of the show here :)

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The original Thermos stuff is surely worth every penny.

In our Concert Tour agency everybody has a different insulation bottle and they all work fine, I see and compare the bottles of a lot of artists.

But my original Thermos bottle is by far the best made I have ever seen.

That brand must be mentioned together with Hilleberg, Savotta, Karrimor SF, Essl, Ochsenkopf, Gränsfors, Fiskars, Victorinox, Fällkniven, Silky, Ortlieb, Carinthia, Kleen Canteen, Steinkogler, Trabert, Therm A Rest, Surefire, Gore Tex, Cordura and other high end equipment brands like that.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
My local coffee house, Paperman's, sell two fantastic insulated mugs. 2 sizes. I use the larger when fishing, in sub zero temperatures.

Do not know who the maker is, but will check lunchtime if anything shows on the mugs.

I also have mugs from Stelton. Also good stuff.

I do not think there is much difference in the various insulated mugs.
BTW, who wants to drink coffee that has been in a mug for several hours?

Does not taste nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks, Santaman. About $30.00 each, straight off the shelf in the grocery store here in the city.
Thermos Stainless King for me. They do several designs but the Stainless are awesome coffee us undrinkably hot after several hours! Totally leak proof. Eady one hand operation. The big flask is brilliant too. A full work day piping hot

Thermos Stainless King Travel Mug, Matt Black, 470 ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O5NEXLU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3qT6DbM5NNQXJ

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......BTW, who wants to drink coffee that has been in a mug for several hours?

Does not taste nice.
Actually the mugs are just the same as if they are kept in a sealed thermal bottle. Thet not only stay hot, the coffee (or whatever other drink) doesn’t get stale while sealed off from air.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well.......

I can taste a difference. Big one.

One detail I looked into some years back was the closable part.

I took apart one mug I used at work and that closing device was simply disgusting.
Filthy. Foul!
Full of oily black gunk.
That is the detail that decides if I buy it or not.

Take apart your and have a look and clean

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well.......

I can taste a difference. Big one.

One detail I looked into some years back was the closable part.

I took apart one mug I used at work and that closing device was simply disgusting.
Filthy. Foul!
Full of oily black gunk.
That is the detail that decides if I buy it or not.

Take apart your and have a look and clean
I take it apart at least every week. Not difficult. I’ve never had any “gunk.” Only caffeine stains. Those have never been a problem.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Just a note - one of the things I have found with travel cups that have good insulation is that the cofee/tea etc, simply doesn't cool. Which is good if you have a cup but bad if you want to drink direct from the vessel and not sear your tongue and palate

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
I've discovered this new wonder material that is both renewable, compostable, heat retaining to a point, beautifully attractive and can be easily customised - 'tis none other than wooden wood off trees!

5615656255_4d4a22d8b4_z.jpg

5616224526_d199b9dcee_z.jpg

No lid though but I'm sure I could come up with something...

Apologies for the hijack - just a bit of harmless fun and I wish you well with your undoubtedly more practical choice. It's been a while since I've posted due to arthritis and a lack of will to get outdoors so i hope you can forgive this slight transgression.

A' the best,
Graeme

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That is in my opinion a very important point!

I think the coffee belongs in the Thermos bottle, not in a Thermos cup.

Ok, Janne sits on the lake in Lapland. Probably there an insulated mug is a good option.

But in the car we put the coffee from the bottle into a stainless steel mug.
We discovered that a small and relatively high cup is better than a large one.

Our preferred drivers cup is that here:

https://www.globetrotter.de/outdoor...IrV4QEspJPviNbvxYZxoCLJ4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I used to ice fish. The Scandi way, which means drilling through the ice with a hand drill, then sitting on a stool ( with a piece of reindeer skin on).
Which means it was insanely uncomfortable and cold.
Hot beverage was kept in a thermos, poured into a plastic cup and drunk.

We warmed our hands on the plastic cup. An insulated one I would see as negative.

Once the beverage was finished in the thermos, we took our Trangia and made a new batch.

I think that the wooden kåsa could be well improved by making a lid.
Sliding lid maybe?
Would keep the beverage warm a bit longer, but then, who sips a coffee or tea for one hour?

(

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Looking at the different models in millets yesterday(christmas eve) the pop up lid seems very popular. No handle though, supermarkets, the range, all pretty much sell similar models. the wee smash jack flask does the job for 3hours just enough to wet your whistle.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Another vote for the Thermos King travel mug here.
Either with a handle or without its waaaay better than any other travel mug I've ever used.

Had it for a few years now and it gets used every working day.
My wife and daughter use them every working day also.

When closed they don't leak, hot stuff stays hot and cold stuff stays cold.

My only issue is caused by having big mitts, its not easy to clean the bottom of them. Same as with any travel mug then and a soup spoon with a scourer seems to do the job.

People with smaller hands likely don't have the same issue.

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE