Reborn Scout

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 6, 2013
Scotland
Hi all,
As you can guess from the subject title. I've just restarted my scouting career at the tender age of 45, and wondered what do people actually think of the movement, how many forum member are scout leaders, scouts or former members. Do you feel that scouts on the whole provide a sound base of bushcraft? And finial could you be encouraged to join the adventure?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I think there are a fair number of folks here either previously involved or actively so. You're bound to get a lot of feedback!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome! I held a warrant for 15 years and I hope I passed on some of my bushy/survival skills ... I certainly tried :) A great movement that I would still be in if I had the time on the needed evenings :)

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Welcome. I'm a former cub, scout, venture scout.

If it had not have been for the movement I would never have had anywhere near the knowledge or experiences I have gained, plus I would probably been locked up as it took me away from stuff that might have done.

It was never cool with my mates and I took some ribbing but kept at it till I was 18.

If I didn't work shifts I would probably volunteer at my local place.

Apr 6, 2013
Scotland
Thanks for the warm welcome. Just a thought and a blatant plug for new or returning people that scouts need "backroom" staff as well as actual leaders. All I ask is if you have a skill that could benefit scouts, and help a load of kids in the same process.
What ever time you can offer would be accepted at any scout group. This will be my one and only attempt to lure you into the wonderful world that is scouting :D
Doing some fire starting and backwoods cooking during the next term, and I'm just as excited as the kids!

Scouts and bushcraft go hand in hand and your Scouts will definitely benefit from your experience. There are loads of Leaders on here and some very interesting posts with lots of cool stuff. Search for anything by Stovie, Brancho, SimonM and Mang (I'm sure there are others - apologies if I've missed anyone - but these spring to mind immediately).

Apr 6, 2013
Scotland
Search for anything by Stovie, Brancho, SimonM and Mang (I'm sure there are others - apologies if I've missed anyone - but these spring to mind immediately).

I know Mang from a well known scouting fourm. Always an interesting read! :beer:

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Former cub, scout and venture scout myself. Got my Queens Scout award then went on to be a leader. Then moved for work and now work job with dodgy shifts and working late nights and weekends so don't have to to be a leader. But have to say I love the scouting movement I wouldn't be who I am now with out the things I did in scouting.

Orric

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I was a cub then a Scout, enjoyed it a lot and learnt some good stuff. I was delighted when my son became a Beaver and he has really taken to it so I have signed on as a volunteer and look forward to passing on some of the skills I have learnt, and no doubt get taught a few things in return, during his journey through the scouting world.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE