Ready, Steady, Cook campfire 1-pot recipies!?

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
thought i'd start a thread for good simple recipies for cooking in a billy or dutch oven.
not necessarily wild food - ingredients from home just as good!
i know i'll be glad for as many ideas as possible!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tradition for me and my lad to have corned beef stew on the first night

tin of corned beef
spuds
veg to taste fresh or dried (home dried these days)
herbs and galic
to cheat a little, we thicken with two Oxtail cup a soups or a little cornflour

filling tack:)

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
excellent - just what i mean!
i'll throw one in;
chicken breast cubed
mushrooms
onions
garlic
spuds
amounts to suit number of people
cover with water and bubble over for 1/2 an hour, topping water up if you ned to
add rice to soak up water, bubble for a bit longer
add 1 tin chicken soup per 2 people, and some cream
heat it up for a bit
serve
yum

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
I'm really hoping that someone will post a good veggie recipe or two as I usually cook for myself and 2/3 veggies so I have to resort to dry veggie burger and sausage mixes to calm the carnivore in me :D . At least everyone loves Bannock.

Kev

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Actually 2 pot one small (rice) and a larger one (curry)

Curry and Rice
Quantities depend on size of group and how hungry you are!

Basmati rice
Butter (store in a plastic pot with tight lid) Obviously take care in very warm weather that it dosn't melt. Thermos make small food jars now which should keep the butter cool. http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/webapp/...showSubCategory=&top=Y&fromPage=SearchResults - I have 2 of these and they're excellent
Good bunch of fresh coriander

Cubed lamb, chicken etc Enough to suit size of group.
Carrots
small new potatoes
A good quality curry powder
A can of tinned tomatoes
vegetable stock Use cubes or powder
remainder of corriander

Brown the meat in your billy with a little butter and add the stock, carrots, spuds cook very slowly for an hour at least so meat is very tender, and add the curry powder, tinned tomatoes and corriander when it's all bubbling away nicely and cook for another half hour at least. (the longer you let it cook gently for, the more tender the meat will be and allow the curry powder to infuse in the veg and meat.............remember Old Rays cooking ethos it's ready when it's ready, and you can have a few rums or beers while your waiting :)

Wash the rice once.
Cook rice (basmati is best) carefully over embers. (again don't rush it) Check the rice regularly so it dosn't boil dry and burn. As a rough guide the water should be above the rice by the distance from the tip of your little finger resting on top of the rice to the first crease on that finger. Add the finely chopped corriander before starting to cook. When the rice is cooked add a good lump of butter mix it in well so all the rice is coated and fluff it up in the pan and leave to steam with the lid on for 5 minutes. The butter and corriander in the rice makes it taste absolutely delicious (you can do this at home too) and is well worth taking.

You can also warm some nan breads very easily on your fire. They come in packs of 2 usually and go great with the curry when your very hungry.

Tub of cream cheese with herbs , long sweet peppers stuff with cheese after removing the seeds bit of olive oil wrap in tin foil and put in the embers for 30 mins or in your billy with lid ( oven ) I like to put a whole garlic bulb in as well cut off the top pepper and olive oil.
very nice I love roasted garlic the peppers are quite nice as well :)
You can serve this with bacon rolled up and cooked in same pot

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats sounds stunning John

Heres one (again you do need a rice pot)

Something chinese thats easy to whomp up and is BBs signature dish at meets - Chinese Lemon Chicken

(Serves 4 - adjust to numbers)

Take 4 chicken breasts. Split each into 2 natural fillets and place in ziplock bag.

Using a log as a rolling pin and a stump, roll each fillet out to 1/4" thick.

Take fillets from the bag and (on a plate) slice each into 1" strips across the grain of the meat (short not long strips)

Put chicken back in ziplock and add a tablespoon of soy sauce. Shake to coat chicken.

Add 4 tablespoons of cornflour to bag and shake well to coat all chicken strips (you may need to use
washed hands to help).

Trim the roots and tips off a bunch of (about 8) spring onions. Cut diagonally to 1/2" pieces. Add a crushed finely chopped garlic clove.

Using a RAZOR sharp bush knife, thinly rind a lemon (use a grater if new to this) and juice the lemon into your cup (cut in half, stick your fork into the cut and gouge around to break the lemon up. Squeeze through fingers to catch pips into cup).

Add a 1/4 pint of chicken stock to cup (I use half a stock cube and 1/4 pint of water in the field). If you like a sweet taste add a tablespoon of sugar and / or a tablespoon of dry sherry. Add a tablespoon of cornflour and blend to a smooth paste.

Put about 4 tablespoons of olive oil in your wok / pan (it needs to be 1/4" deep). Get it hot. Fry off all your chicken strips a few at a time until golden brown. Place the fried strips on plate as they are done to remove oil.

Wipe your pan out. Add a spoon of clean oil and fry off your spring onions and garlic for 2 minutes till soft.

Add the stock / cornflour mix and return chicken to pan. Stir until thickened adding more cornflour if needed.

Serve on a bed of boiled rice.

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, gorilla asked for dutch oven food and Northern Giant for vegetarian food. This has a vegetarian option

Righto, heres the first one: Reds infamous chilli!

Serves about 6

Take 1 very large or two medium onions and dice finely.
Add 4 cloves of crushed and finely chopped garlic
Add a good few ounces of finely chopped mushrooms

Soften and brown the onions, mushroom and garlic on a low heat in a pan containing a little olive oil

Add 1 1/2lbs of lean miced beef (Aberdeen Angus free grazed for preference) and finely chopped de-seeded chillis to taste (I use about 4 good sized birdseye chillis but you can add anything from mild green to scotch bonnets)

Fry off on a medium heat until the meat has turned brown and is cooked through

Remove from heat

Now add 2 lbs of peeled de-seeded and finely chopped tomatoes. This is best achieved by getting your billy can full of boiling water and cutting a fine cross in the top of each tomato. Drop into boiling water for 10 seconds and then plunge into cold water. The skin just peels right off. Chop into quarters and de-seed with knife point. Add quarter to half a pint of water.

Alternatively use 2 large tins of chopped tomatoes and leave out the water!

Add a good dollop of home made or shop bought tomato puree.

Now add a pound of prepared beans of your choice (I like red kidney and haricots - YMMV)

Now this is my "secret" ingredient -add two peeled and finely chopped sweet dessert apples and a good handful of soft sultanas.

A good grind of salt and black pepper and a really good sprinkle of cayenne for seasoning

Return to a gentle heat for a good couple of hours until the apple dissolves and "sweetens" the chilli against the heat.

Serve with tortillas (keep for weeks) and grated cheese. If you take proper ground corn you can dry fry tortillas in camp

For the vegetarians, finely diced yellow, red and orange red peppers can be substituted for the meat

Red

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
You can also improvise a small oven from you billy for breads, veg, meat etc.

Use a keyhole type fire. When you've enough embers scrape a depression next to your fire big enough to take your billy laid on it's side and line the depression with embers. Place your billy on it's side ON THE EMBERS (with whatever you're cooking inside the billy) and prop a thick green piece of wood against the lid to make sure it dosn't fall off and cover the billy with more embers. Top up the embers as required from your main fire. The good point about this type of cooking is that you can leave the tin foil at home, but remember to rotate the billy now and again so the food dosn't stick.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
General Stew: Feeds everyone
Boil at least 1ltr/2pts in kettle and put to side
Brown 2 kg of meat in pan with a little fat/oil. I have used a range of fats from suet to fat cut off meat.
Add hot water, 2 stock cubes and 2kg random root veg and mushrooms

Stew with lid on in embers for long time. When it looks properly cooked and tender, make dumplings. Which are one handful of suet to two handfuls self raising flour, mixed into paste with a little water. make in to small balls place on to top of stew. put lid on and leave for twenty minutes.

Serve

Recipe is down scaled by remembering the meat should fill half the pot and veg should fill the other half , and the stock should cover up to the top.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Corned beef hash (slight variant on rik_uk3 recipe)

Corned beef.
Carrot.
Onion.
Celery.
Spuds.
Stock cube.
Mixed herbs.
Water.
Salt & pepper to taste.

Chop spuds into rough 1" cubes. Dice carrot onion and celery. Crumble stock cube. chuck the lot into pot and try to gently simmer for 30 - 40 mins. The longer and slower the better :)

Super fast rice and beans (veggie option for Northern Giant UK)

Packet of microwaveable rice of choice.
Tin of mixed beans.
Chopped peppers.
Splash of peri peri sauce.
Small amount of water.
Salt & pepper to taste.

Chuck it all into pot and heat through for 5 mins.

Also can be made marinara style by adding small tin of tuna/mackeral/salmon/crab etc or even meaty with some chopped pepperami/salami.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Not a single mention of 'Maggies' liquid seasoning!?!
I couldn't live without it......got to say my camping food is smash and beans and corned beef!!!!
Chiili rocks and tom pasta is nice and easy.
Great stuff here though.
dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE