Ready Reel

O

oracle2

Well here goes my first review.
I thought I would pick something nice and simple.

A Hand-line fishing kit the “Ready Reel”

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hand lining is one of the oldest forms of fishing and is still common. The method consists of a single fishing line with a weight and one or more lure-like hooks are attached. The line is jigged or moved up and down in a series of short movements, most often close to the sea floor. The motion attracts the fish, which are normally caught while trying to eat the lure but also as they move close to jigged the lure. The line is then hauled on board and the fish removed. Hand lining are most often used to catch ground fish and squid but also other species are sometimes caught, including pelagic species.

Introducing the “Ready Reel” a hand line fishing reel. The ready reel is a step up from hobo fishing where a drinks can/plastic bottle is used as the reel. The ready reel is supplied with line, 1 x weight and 1 x hook. The reel is made of a tough molded plastic and is approximately 160mm in diameter. The reel can be used in fresh* or sea water and as it is only supplied with one weight and one hook, I think a trip to your local fishing shop is call for, to buy a few more hooks or lures for your intended fishing method.
To cast the ready reel, hold it in your left hand, I'm right handed and point the face of the frame toward your target. Then, with your right hand, hold the line about 2 feet from the lure. Swing the lure in a circular motion--either underhand, or above your head like a lasso. Deliver the lure by releasing it in the direction of your target. As the lure sails through the air, line will uncoil from the ready reel in much the same way it does from a spinning reel. You can learn the basic technique in a few minutes, and is best to practice without a hook, a small weight will do. It is possible to cast a good distance, quite accurately.
To recover the line, simply wind the line back onto the reel. The line can be recovered at a fast enough rate to make the use of spinners effective.

The ready reel is a little to big to fit into a pocket, but will go unnoticed in a day pack or rucksack. With a few extra hooks and lures this would make an ideal fishing kit to enjoy on all those coastal walks.

http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/trading/survival.htm
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7248689601&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

EDIT.
*Post edited to reflect that It is Illegal to use a handline on any Freshwater in the UK.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
I think it needs to be pointed out that fishing without a rod (and an EA fishing licence) is Illegal on all Freshwater in the UK.

You can end up in Court and get a substanital fine for using a handline.

The only place where you can legitimately use this is in salt water.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
bogflogger said:
I think it needs to be pointed out that fishing without a rod (and an EA fishing licence) is Illegal on all Freshwater in the UK.

not being a fisher, so only out of curiosity - why? - I wouldn't have thought it would have made any differenc if you use a rod and line or just line.....

or is it more to do with the needing a licence?

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Esturies are fine, with the possible exception of some Salmon rivers in Scotland (where you are more likely to get "a kicking" from the Ghillies than be prosecuted).

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
There are a few reasons.

First of all, handlining can cause an unnesscary amount of stress to a hooked fish, as it will take longer to land than using the "spring effect" of a rod to tire the fish out.

Instead you have to bodily drag the fish out of the water, which can damage it's mouth badly, as the hook tears through it.

Secondly, there have been Rivers that have been totally devastated by poachers indescriminately stealing entire year crops of fish species.

This is the reason that (easily hidden) handlines were made Illegal.

Both the Enviroment Agency and a number of River keepers, spend a huge amount of time and money trying to keep Rivers stocked with fish, and this is often totally destroyed by people who neither know, nor care, about the fish they steal.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Stickie said:
Not trying to be contentious but how is a Ready Reel a step up from a Hobo fishing kit? I would argue that my tin can hobo kit is a step up from a Ready Reel.

A tin can hobo kit promotes recycling (the tin), minimises use of fossil fuels (no plastic reel), encourages exercise and small businesses (I walked to the fishing shop), engendered social interaction (with the shopkeep), promotes the local economy (well I wasn't going to walk far), fosters new skills (I had to learn some new knots) and I got a sense of satisfaction from making something for myself.

Your life-time membership as a global consumer is in danger! ;)

Have to agree. When I did the fundamental course Juha encouraged us to make our own - only using a piece of wood instead of a tin can. Taught me all sorts of related skills (including how not to embed the hook in your ear while spinning up!)

O

oracle2

bogflogger said:

You can end up in Court and get a substanital fine for using a handline.

The only place where you can legitimately use this is in salt water.

Thanks for the information first post edited to reflect this information.
Sorry to everyone for not doing research properly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE