Re-Hanging an axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I promised The Greenman to re-post this to help him out.....

Tidying up an axe

Well I decided to re-dress an axe today (found a cheap one) and I thought it might be useful to publish a step-by-step guide given theres been a few threads on axes that need some work

Heres an old hatchet thats a good candidate for some TLC

Whats wrong with it? Well the blade is covered in rust and the blade edge is nicked and doesnt cut evenly.

Worse though is the fact that there is some severe helve damage.

A dent and crack this bad could cause the helve to snap in use and the head to fly off. Not the safest thing.

So, first job is to get all that paint and rust off and see what we have. Now on a quality old head, I'd hand rub back. This though is a cheap “user" of a hatchet, so we'll give it a quick clean with an electric sander. I like to do this with the old helve in or to the bare head. Any slips could damage the new helve.
This is what we end up with..a fair 11/4 lb hatchet head.

Now that I can see what we have, I need to tidy the blade. (red's edit to say - there are detailed instructions on this in the "How to sharpen an axe" thread)

Okay, tricky time. We need to get that old helve out. Not normally a problem, but these days they often fill the eye with some sort of acrylic gunk. The problem with this is that you can see whats underneath it.

So, is the head loose? Yes haha, I'll just tap it out. Nope, not a chance. Its not that loose. So, saw the helve off flush to the head and turn over. Try to tap out from the helve side. You know what the inside of an eye is shaped like right? Its like a funnel with the spout end where the helve comes out (wider at the top than the bottom). So trying to pull a helve out rarely works. The helve is wider below the head so the head can't drop down the helve. Its straight when you put the new helve in, but then you drive wedges in to widen the top of the helve so it fills the funnel shape. So the head can't fly off the top because of the funnel shape or slip down because of the widening helve. However cut off the helve and you can often drive the stump out the wide mouth of the head (the top).

Not in this case though. So, goggles and gloves and I drill through the helve half a dozen times going VERY carefully in case there is a metal wedge. There isn't and the helve drops out.

Fantastic. Now we are getting somewhere. Right, next job. Fit the helve. I'm using a store bought hickory helve and its too big to go through the eye at the bottom of the head. This is a good thing. Using wood rasps and sand paper I SLOWLY thin the helve until it will just pass through the narrow eye. I measured the depth of the head before I started and added ½" as I want the helve to project a little. A quick rub of sandpaper (easier now than later) and the helve is ready for the next stage. I'm going to need a wooden wedge next. Out to the woodpile and find a nice bit or dry oak (your wedge must be seasoned or it will split). Now I have measured the length of the eye and reckon for a little head like this a wedge about ¾" wide will do. I make it much longer than I need, you'll see why later. I measure the width of the eye and select and iron wedge the right size (No 2 in this case). Okay, I have all my parts assembled.

Next stage is to saw a slot for the wedge. Clamp the helve vertically and using a tenon saw, cut a slot into the helve for 2/3 of the depth of the head. It should look something like this.

You'll notice the line is just off straight. I find this helps stop splitting later.

Next, fit the head snugly and, using a block of wood flat to the top of the wooden wedge, drive the wedge gently but firmly in place. I like to put some wood glue on the wooden wedge first and let it dry before proceeding. Others don't - you decide!

Using your saw, cut the wedge off parallel to the helve. Then take your soft iron wedge and tap it in at 45 degrees to the wooden wedge in the centre of the helve. Make sure your head doesn't move whilst wedging.

Well, we are nearly there now. A final sand of the handle, then an oil soak. Lay a piece of cling film twice the length of the axe down. Cover in a double layer of kitchen towel. Soak the towel in linseed oil (or whatever you use). Put the axe on top, wrap the towel around the helve and cling film round the lot. Leave for 24 hours or better yet longer. The oil will penetrate the wood, swelling the grain for a tight fit and protecting from drying out.

Remove all the cloth, wipe down well and sharpen and that's it, a nice little camp hatchet.

Given that we have left a quarter of an inch of the helve “proud" from the head, next time we need to re-helve it, all that's needed is to hook the metal wedge out with a flat head screwdriver, saw off and tap out the loose helve . no resin. The nice part of this job is that a helve costs just over a quid and a soft iron wedge a few pence. A rough hatchet can be picked up for 50p in a car boot sale. Buy 2 or 3 helves and a box of mixed wedges and you'll be out £5. You also can have a few tries at re-hanging and I'm fairly sure by the third go you'll get the knack of it. If you get it sooner, you have some spare helves!

Hope thats useful

Red

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Awesome, BR :D After your excellent threads on axes and the evolution of your PFK and Beater and Biter, you're an inspiration! :D :You_Rock_

Peace!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Can U go into a bit more detail about the stage where you begin to shave the wood away so the head fits on snug. How do you actually do it? Personally I tap the handle into the head with a few hammer blow's then remove it to see the place's where its got a mark, then use a shrp knife to shave off the high spots, then repeat the process maybe 30 or 40 times until the handle stics out about a half inch, and theres contact all round, no voids, then wedge and finish. BUT how do you keep it lined up so the head is in line with the handle and so it doesnt creep slightly as you proceed with the pounding and shaving. :confused: Is there a tip
cheers Jonathan

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...BUT how do you keep it lined up so the head is in line with the handle and so it doesnt creep slightly as you proceed with the pounding and shaving. :confused:...

This is the part of the process that worries me, keeping the handle aligned with the head/cutting edge.

By the way, Jonathan, what are your thoughts on the metal/wood wedge debate. I noted the fine job you did on that French feeling axe of yours (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27463 – post #6) and was particularly impressed with the pic of the eye. I’m thinking how the wedges might relate to the Wett project (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27823&page=2)

Best regards,
Paul.

PS: Thanks for putting this one back up, Red.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can U go into a bit more detail about the stage where you begin to shave the wood away so the head fits on snug. How do you actually do it? Personally I tap the handle into the head with a few hammer blow's then remove it to see the place's where its got a mark, then use a shrp knife to shave off the high spots, then repeat the process maybe 30 or 40 times until the handle stics out about a half inch, and theres contact all round, no voids, then wedge and finish. BUT how do you keep it lined up so the head is in line with the handle and so it doesnt creep slightly as you proceed with the pounding and shaving. :confused: Is there a tip
cheers Jonathan
I don't think there is any "Silver bullet" to that problem. I don't tap hard - firmly but not banging. I have used a sharp knife but find that a wood rasp makes things simpler if I'm at home. I find the rougher finish left by the rasp lets me see contact points more easily as the raised fibres get compressed on contact. For me the trick is to try to take wood from both sides of the head evenly - although not always at the same height. Often I find I'm getting contact high on one side and low on the other - this seems to indicate that I'm removing wood "off true". I take wood from the low contact point first and almost just "rough up" the higher point as, relieveing the lower contact often stops the higher point touching by taking wood from the pivot point if that makes sense?

If theres a quick and simple way - I've never found it!

Red

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Interesting comments, its not just me that was perplexed by it then :lmao: . I honestly think if you have as best quality straight clean ash as you can procure (or hickory or birch whatever you use for the handle) it will usually go on straight, even with the pound and shave method. I keep an eye on the alignment now as I go, when I did my first re handle jobs about 1993 I was blissfully ignorant of these issues, but you learn something new every day :D I have increasingly become concious of all these "minor" details and begun to see their importance in the bigger picture. It was Mr Bily Cobham (excellent drumming legend) who said that excellence is attained by close attention to every single seemingly insignificant and "little" detail. When I did that french axe I went a stage further as Jimbo did sudgest and adjusted the fit with a final pound and shave AFTER I ripped into the end's for the wedge slots (to test to see if they closed up unevenly) My instinct tels me that the handle end should fill the axe head as fully and with as even a presure as posible. I "cheat a litle and use the wedge stage to alter the angle if necessary. Personally I've always used only wooden wedges and never had any bother except at first in my ignorance I tended to use damp wood for the wedges which did shrink and did loosen a bit. Now I force dry them under the wood stove for a while and assmble with linseed oil in the sawn slots before inserting the wedges. That axe has taken some stick already it gets used to split logs so far up to 14 inch diameter. I am a axe vandal, I actually pound on the axe poll sometimes :eek: (with a wood maul of course never a sledge) and this one hasnt budged or moved a milimeter even with that punishment, even levering with it as you would with a froe, still solid as a rock. If you do a poor job it shows up quickly with hard usage, I know from my own experience :rolleyes:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Cheers for the tutorial. It's given me the urge to finally tackle re hanging my Lee Reeve that's been sitting in the drawer for over a year. I'll get the new handle through work tomorrow:) .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Eeeeek ...Lee Reeves? In a Drawer?????????

Single bit or double bit Snufkin? If its a double drop me a PM

Red

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Single bit hatchet Red. I was tempted to try the double bit Nessie but I like a poll to hammer with. I went for the osage handle but unfortunately it cracked when I was levering apart a log. I had been looking around for a nice bit of wood to carve out a new handle but I think I should just get the little fella back into service. Unless of course you want to add it to your collection;) .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah - my next will be a new Cegga style!

I asked because I have a spare double helve (I ordered a spare when I got my double) - I thought it might help you out

Red

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Nah - my next will be a new Cegga style!

I asked because I have a spare double helve (I ordered a spare when I got my double) - I thought it might help you out

Red
Ahh... Fiddleback maple by any chance. It was a pic of Shwerts fiddleback nessie that inspired me to order mine.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The fitted one is indeed - although the spares are ash

Ready?

Drool mode on

400914312_d008e16b60_o.jpg

Custom bit of Singtecks best to keep it in of course ;)

467387246_4323898c7d_o.jpg

Drool mode off :)

Sadly the spare helves won't fit yours :(

Red

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Here's my Lee Reeves re-hung. Not quite as glamourous with it's new plain hickory helve but it'll do the job. I'd forgotten what a fun little axe this was to use.

2008_0222Image0010.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Done a lovely job there moomintrolls mucka!

Thats a yummy axe - wish I had one of those too. First refusal if you ever get fed up?

Red

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Done a lovely job there moomintrolls mucka!

Thats a yummy axe - wish I had one of those too. First refusal if you ever get fed up?

Red
No problem. It tends to be my Garage axe for when I'm reducing bowstaves and such as I have limited space. It doesn't really have too many forays outdoors. If I think I'll need an axe I bung the SFA in my pack.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just wanted to add that a good thing for removing the rust from the sides of an axe is one of those flap discs in a grinder.

You can get them in various grades and as they wear new grit gets exposed all the time.
169945_lg.jpg

Far and away better than normal sanding discs and you would have to try really hard to overheat the steel.

Done my maul today;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE