Re-creation of the Ice Age in Siberia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The idae may not be so far fetched. I seem to recall a programme where some scientists were searching for rapidly frozen mammoths in Siberia, but they were looking for male mammoths so that they could harvest the frozen sperm. This was to be introduced to an elephants' egg and a cross breed elephant/mammoth would be created. Do this enough times, and then the elephant is breeded out until you get something that is almost a mammoth. It would never be 1005 mammoth though as it will contain a part of that original elephant.

Saying that, since then we have had the cloned sheep Dolly, and I believe the way this is done is by taking the egg and neutralising it with radioactive material or some other wacky method, and then a cell is introduced from the creature to be cloned. Then, the cell multiplies and becomes the cloned animal. Or that was how I understood it. This would mean a pure mammoth could be created, not sure if it could be done in an elephant though.

I think the above is correct, but if not, hey, I'm not a scientist!

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Dolly died early because of a fault in the cells. They used cells of the original sheep wich was alleady a few years old. This means that when dolly was born her cells were already as old as the original sheep. Dolly died earlier than other sheep, because her cells were allready a few years old when she was born. This is why they are looking for sperm in frozen mammoths.

Michiel

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
I would do it. I have a very high tolerance for the cold and have always felt alot better in winter conditions. In fact I would thrive on musk ox, mammoth, and sled dogs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE