Razor clam

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Not tried them myself, but collected hundreds for bait...

Its the foot you eat as there's not much else other than goo (large section of white meat when cooked) and they only take 60 seconds or so in the pan. about the same(ish) time as a scallop.

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipe...ll/razor-clams-with-chorizo-07-11-15_p_1.html

http://www.worldseafishing.com/baits/razorfish.html

Supposed to be really nice eating, few drops of olive oil, maybe a little chopped chilli and a crushed clove of garlic is all i would do really.

Bushcraft style, hot rock from fire... lay meat on i guess!

TBL.

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
one of my spanish mates made me a cracking dish with these once with chorizo sausage and broad beans very tasty..
as already stated the long foot section is what you eat and if in a reliable area you can even chomp it raw they are very sweet.
I am sure you have probably seen the salt trick to collecting them? also its best on a spring low (sweet chariot, sorry) tide as they live way down the shore

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
spring tides are the best timr to get them (Jan Feb time) check the local tide levels where you are.......

easy to cook just put hot coals over them gap down so the ash wont go in, or just put them straight on top of the coals....both work fine.....check out some limpits while your there, they are very good but a little tough, the flavour makes up for it though.....

chris.............................

cheers for the tips guys, think i'm gonna have to put this on the backburner then till jan time. My fiance lives in dundrum over here which has an awesome bay and i hear its full of shell fish so its something i have to do. I'm going to be inclined to either do them just as chris said on the coals or just pan fry them with some chorizo.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hi Stinger, you could also check this idea out from another thread for abit more poke to the flavour.........

In the food section "Foraged mussels and oysters today but need advice please"

regards.

chris..........................................................................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE