Raymond??

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
HI all, just bought a book from a second hand bookshop in mint condition, it's called "the survival handbook". When reading through it I found that what I was reading seemed very similar in style of writing to a few books I had read before, flicking to the front I found it was written by none-other than Raymond mears!! Does anyone know if its worth anything as someone said that his old books went for a few quid these days!!1 Still only picked up for £6 so I think i'll keep it :D

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
haha YES!! That's the one I have, the isbn matches up

Survival Handbook: Practical Guide to Woodcraft and Woodlore
ISBN 0946609888 - Publisher: Oxf. Illustrated P - Release date: 1990

what does that mean??

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
If it's published in 1990 or 1991 then it's worth keeping - his first book is his best (in many people's opinions - mine included!). It will fetch in the region of £50 but I'd keep it if I were you - and enjoy the sense of smug satisfaction knowing you only paid £6 - as well as read it as an excellent resource.

Good find!

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
If it's published in 1990 or 1991 then it's worth keeping - his first book is his best (in many people's opinions - mine included!). It will fetch in the region of £50 but I'd keep it if I were you - and enjoy the sense of smug satisfaction knowing you only paid £6 - as well as read it as an excellent resource.

Good find!

wow I do feel smug!!!

cheers!

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
That book was a turning point in my survival and bushcraft training when I bought my copy in 1991. Up until then I followed a slightly more military style but always felt there was more to it than just learning how to survive until rescued. Of course, there were lots of similar books in a similar style already published and available overseas (North america etc) but mostly unknown in the UK and a bit harder to get hold of in pre -internet days. It was 'Raymonds' book that summed up how I felt about the outdoors and it was, and still is a great inspiration to me. My extremely thumbed and yellowing copy, held together with gaffa tape must be worth about 5 pence now but would certainly be one of the first things I would rescue if my house was burning down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE