Ray Mears - The Survival Handbook First Edition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woolleysi

Oct 5, 2005
I have a friend who has a first edition copy of Ray Mears The Survival Handbook: A Practical Guide to Woodcraft and Woodlore (the 1990 Oxford Illustrated Press one).

He is thinking of selling it on Ebay and was wondering how much he would expect to get (obviously if its worth more than 50 pounds he can put a reserve on it).

Any ideas?

Thanks

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
The average on eBay does seem to be about £50, though if it's signed it would fetch a good deal more.

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
It's worth nothing. It's been reprinted loads of times and the publishers have found a few hundred boxes of it they'd forgotten about. I'll give him a tenner for it. :rolleyes:

I think your friend should post it to Woodlore and ask Ray to sign it, I am sure he would. It would add more value and for the cost involved, it would be a good return. You could at least put a higher reserve on it. They could always relist it if it fails to meet the wanted price.

If someone wants it, they will pay. Look at "a cook on the wildside".

A fool and his money are easily parted, as my Grandfather used to say.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Freelander said:
If someone wants it, they will pay. Look at "a cook on the wildside".

A Cook on the Wild Side did start going for silly money, which prompted HFW to produce some new copies for people that wanted them. These are available at www.rivercottage.net for £14.99, if anyone wants one. They're still being signed as well, AFAIK. Ignore these muppets.

Not sure if it's necessary to state, but I'm a moderator on the RC forums.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I ordered one, and it is just as good as the original. The photographs have been reproduced from the original, as the original pictures were no longer available. They are only slighty bad, not much worse off than an original, and I think the book is good value for money. I'd rather pay 15 quid than stooopid money!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE