Ray Mears' Squirrel Trap Deadfall Trigger - Plans Please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ray Mears makes a dead-fall trigger in one of his episodes, and uses it within a split log which he places at shoulder height in the trees to catch red squirrels - I think it was the Rocky Mountain episode.

I have the video and freeze the frames at the right spot but can't figure out what appears to be a fairly simply mechanism - and haven't found anything published on this... Can anyone help me figure it out please? I want a diagram which I can use to reproduce his trigger.

Thanks in advance,

Mungo

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I know the one you mean - I've had a search but can't find anything really. Something about a post deadfall rings a bell but I couldn't find much by that name.

Chester`C

Sep 6, 2007
Hull
lol I like that at least it saves you whacking the meat to tenderise it pre-cook ;)

very good site though cheers eraaij

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Mungo if you click on the link eraaij posted it takes you to the figure 4 deadfall trap with some great photos and a way of making it without a knife..

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Here we go!

File0001.jpg

Part A of the trigger is placed on the step created at B. This makes an extension of the whole piece, and this is held in place by the trigger stick which has a notch cut into it and sits on the shaded portions when they are joined up. The squirrel doesn't stand a chance!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh, and on B, the wood doesn't need to protrude so far downwards, it is just how I drew it! So long as the trigger can hold it in position, then it will work just fine. It is an idea to get rid of any excess wood that could foul the mechanism or the falling log. Also, I believe there is a similar design used by the Saami or some other northern people where they use a tree stump as the bottom part of the trap, drive wedges into the stump all around so that the head has to be placed under the falling log to get to the bait. They catch Martens or a similar type of stoaty weasel! It was on Rays' first series, world of survival, I think.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Something like this:

Here is a picture of the bits and the dinner I caught in my cunningly placed trap! The car isn't for
scale or anything, I just knocked this up in a few minutes to show the principle of the trap
mechanism. The trigger needs to be very finely tuned so that it will spring at the slightest
touch, but not by the wind blowing on it. Trial and error with the length of the sticks I'm afraid.

HPIM2960.jpg

Spamel - your video was brilliant. I must commend you on your catch of said vehicle.

Upon seeing your video, I whooped with recognition and excitement and ran out into the backyard.

Since then, I have been outside with Monty my beagle, my Mora, and my axe preparing some locust tree wood that I had stacked up beside the fence. I carved the pieces as you have described, and using a sinister piece of plywood, managed to trap several entities:

1. My left hand.
  2. My right hand.
  3. My slightly abraded left hand.
  4. A twig, which I pretended was a squirrel.
  5. A twig, which I pretended was a very delicate, careful squirrel.
  6. A twig, which I pretended was a beaver.

Either your memory is keen, your bushcraft skills honed, or you phoned Mr. Mears himself and asked for directions.

Good job!

I propose that you extend your film and turn it into a motion picture feature length, starring such actors as Clint Eastwood, Penelope Cruz and Jennifer Connelly.

Cheers,

Mungo

p.s. Please tell Jennifer Connelly I recommended her. But don't tell my wife.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
thinking of making one of those but a bit bigger just outside the bedroom door area to catch a nagging wife thats just how i remember mears dead fall good stuff fella

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
I would be careful if you're setting a trap where red squirrels live you don't what to catch a endangered species.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE