Ray Mears Parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Sorry guys that post links to a thread that was either deleted or moved a while back.being a moderator, tomtom can still see it and it appears when he does a search.

Matt

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
The Parang I have seen on most jungle shows of Ray's, is a common design from the Vietnam, Thailand, Burma region. It was likely bought in Thailand when Ray was on one of his many world journeys. It is not anything extra special, just an off the shelf sort of machete. I agree with his choice though, no much sense in spending a lot of money on a machete as long as it can be sharpened and will hold up to whacking the brush!
Another thing to consider, in many countries, particularly underdeveloped countries, it is common to have a local ask for a gift of some item of their choosing, such as a knife or another piece of attractive kit. It may be undesireable to carry an expensive knife ot machete into some parts, you may end up giving it away as a token of goodwill. Nothing wrong with goodwill, just what you can afford! Anyway I ramble on...

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
wizard beat me to it but he is indeed right, the parang in question is undoutbly a local product (IMO looking at the shape, probably the produce of an Iban blacksmith in Brunei).

its pretty pointless buying a western parang when you could get a tool far more suitable for the particular enviroment you are traveling to from the locals on arrival

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
Indeed in the Bushcraft series there a shot where one of the crew is carrying a bundle of shiny new machettes so presumably they were bought there. They look pretty cheap and bog standard. Like has already been said, I'm sure the locals know what is needed to chop the local materials!

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
The chances are high that the local ones are dirt cheap. I thought about taking a parang to china with me, but decided to check out the local stuff instead, and they use billhooks that you can get from a blacksmith or mass produced for about a quid each. Beats taking a parang through customs!

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
I have little experience of using parangs myself but I do know a guy whose used them a fair bit and would always source new ones from the area in which he was working. He said the last batch he used were made localy from old truck leaf springs ! They certainly looked as good as anything I've seen or handled.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
i dont know who makes these knives but it is called a parang, there is write up on them in the SAS survival hand book by john wiseman, personally i like an axe but thats my opinion. for what its worth

dean

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE