Ray mears in basingstoke

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
absolutely brilliant and a great contrast to the show i saw up north at gawsworth hall....

gawsworth was more about the actual/real/physical/external side of bushcraft and the natural world and tonight was more about the spiritual/mental side and human endeavour and with some modern technology thrown in....

aboriginal and animal to war and history.....both presented with zero ego, humility, clarity, depth of knowlege, understanding, experience and humour.

he'll probably be terrified if he reads this but ray mears has been instrumental in inspiring me on a personal level and single-handedly causing my career....shaping me and my family, my friends around me and making this world a better place by leading by example and teaching anyone who has the eyes to see, the ears to hear and the brain to accomodate him.

i aspire to him and fail miserably almost all of the time but what with the recent past i've had behind me tonight has been a breath of fresh air once again.

we have ray mears.....we have david attenborough.....and of course many more cut of that cloth and tonight i'll crash out happier because of it.

''sprouts.....i don't even know if theyre edible''.....lololol!

Last edited:

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
'sprouts.....i don't even know if theyre edible''.....lololol!

They are brother, I love them, though fully aware that might not be recommendation enough ��.

And couldn't have put it better, a great evening, in great company, with great family/friends

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Thanks gents for the pleasure of your company.
Enjoyed Uncle Ray and great to understand some of the stories that truly inspire him.

What a great speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
It was an interesting evening, he is a very good speaker and I hadn't heard the stories before on his tv shows as far as I remember.

Kept an eye out for you Sonni, but so many people milling around didn't spot you in the crowds.

Cheers, Paul

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
i cant believe BG has been mentioned on my ray mears thread.....keep thy encores......

ray played an old record as his 'encore' and left the stage quietly and respectfully......which meant everything. he didnt have a fireworks show, eat an infectious live animal or any dung whatsoever....no back flips....no paragliding....didnt hang off any precipice.....quite boring really i guess lolololololol!

BG, BG, BG, BG, BG, BG, i can feel myself coming out in a rash.

s

I’d prefer an evening with BG as you never quite know what you’ll get by way of an encore!

K

Last edited:

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
Ray Mears is a great inspiration to me. His gentle approach seems to meld with nature as opposed to engaging in combat with it. He has an understated strength. I saw the episode where he fought in a tribal wrestling competition (I don't remember where). He swept the floor with the local champion and was a humble and refined champion. I can watch him sit at a table and whittle a piece of wood for hours. Sadly such TV fair would not garner the ratings here in the US to stay on the air. Thank the gods for YT where we can see his shows here in the colonies.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lol charlz.....funnily enough last night me and steve and his wife julie were talking about exactly what youve said.....the tribal wrestling.....

spot on brother!

i remember reading someone say.....''ray mears couldnt climb everest though could he....''. i think you'd find that ray could achieve pretty much anything he sets his mind to.....and he'd probably then look slightly awkward and apologise politely afterwards for doing it so easily and yet find it quietly amusing that he'd done so lol.

in fact, rays a pretty annoying guy!!!! hahahahhahaahahahaha!

s

Ray Mears is a great inspiration to me. His gentle approach seems to meld with nature as opposed to engaging in combat with it. He has an understated strength. I saw the episode where he fought in a tribal wrestling competition (I don't remember where). He swept the floor with the local champion and was a humble and refined champion. I can watch him sit at a table and whittle a piece of wood for hours. Sadly such TV fair would not garner the ratings here in the US to stay on the air. Thank the gods for YT where we can see his shows here in the colonies.

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
can we have no more mention of BG on my thread please....its something i feel passionately about however light hearted....and people who know me well enough understand why. thankyou. as far as i'm concerned BG is not synonymous with bushcraft or RM and has even less to do with his show in Basingstoke.

regards,

s

Last edited:

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
Indeed. Some of us regard Britain's import of BG to the US airwaves as an act of war. (Much like how we are no longer are allies with Canada since their act of aggression in the Justin Bieber affair). If there is one more show starring BG televised here we will be forced to surrender and undo over 200 yrs. of independence. ( I shall never utter his name again on this forum, I swear by all that is holy.)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lol.....i humbly apologise on behalf of the british public charlz and if i can help solve the situation please let me know what i can do.

and i swear i wont mention the ahem, delightful television the U.S. has been responsible for putting on our screens. haha!

peace!

s

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
lol.....i humbly apologise on behalf of the british public charlz and if i can help solve the situation please let me know what i can do.

and i swear i wont mention the ahem, delightful television the U.S. has been responsible for putting on our screens. haha!

peace!

s

Touche'
I guess I must also apologize for the barrage and sorties that the US television has inflicted upon the innocent British television viewers. Now I think that Britain was only acting in self defense. That explains the Piers Morgan situation. You are a small country, but powerful. No wonder the sun never set on your empire.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
pmswfl!!!!! i honestly never thought i'd end up laughing over a ** conversation.....the force is strong with you brother....

may you always be of The Ray and not of The Bear....

ooops, i just said Bear.....thats ok though yeah?....could be any bear....aaaaargh, nope, no good, i need to flagellate!!!!! this is really gonna annoy my rash....but i deserve it!! bad boy naughty boy hail Mary full of grace....

s

ps i just realised i've hijacked my own thread.....

Touche'
I guess I must also apologize for the barrage and sorties that the US television has inflicted upon the innocent British television viewers. Now I think that Britain was only acting in self defense. That explains the Piers Morgan situation. You are a small country, but powerful. No wonder the sun never set on your empire.

Last edited:

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
pmswfl!!!!! i honestly never thought i'd end up laughing over a ** conversation.....the force is strong with you brother....

may you always be of The Ray and not of The Bear....

ooops, i just said Bear.....thats ok though yeah?....could be any bear....aaaaargh, nope, no good, i need to flagellate!!!!! this is really gonna annoy my rash....but i deserve it!! bad boy naughty boy hail Mary full of grace....

s

ps i just realised i've hijacked my own thread.....

It is good to laugh. We Yanks are a rustic bunch but always good for laugh. Just look at our election process. I am indeed a sworn Mearist. Whittle and knot beats a rock jumping @wat - that's my motto. I can relate to your issue with "flagellate". I get that when I eat Mexican food.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lolol......but youve just committed an even worse sin....youve mentioned polictics.....big no-no on here and we dont want to start a Trump conversation.....we'd need an entire forum to cope with that.....but seriously, Trump, what an appropriate name.....

aaaaargh i've done it again....wheres me whip.....:p

this conversation is over.....youll get me in trouble....

s

edit: hahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaha bushwacker beat me to it.....behave!!! now things are really going to decline.....bobs in the place.

dont thank him, its what he does:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE