Ray Mears firesteel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
That fact that it was bought from Ray Mears company Woodlore, I imagine. These firesteels are slightly different to the ones by Light My Fire having a different handle and striker.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Well yes I kinda figured that, but my pedantic point is that an item being bought from Woodlore doth not make an item 'Ray Mears'.
i.e. I can buy a Gransfors axe from Woodlore but it doesn't make a 'Ray Mears' axe.
No offence meant to Shing, but if we'd spotted this item on Ebay we'd be taking the rip.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
My understanding would be to say that such items are endorsed by "Ray Mears":rolleyes:

It has all become so commercial, hark the day that "Bushcraft" was a way of life as opposed to an industry:rolleyes: :p

However most of us still buy into it for a piece of the action and the feeling that we are participating in something special.:D :rolleyes:

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Laurence Dell said:
It has all become so commercial, hark the day that "Bushcraft" was a way of life as opposed to an industry:rolleyes: :p

Isn't that the way that any niche market grows though? Find someway to advertise it to the masses (Ray Mears) that will get more people interested for a few years and then take advantage and rake in the disposable income before some other new "craze" or "gadget" comes along.

I think with all the latest health crazes like "organic", going back to your roots and living off the land and fending for yourself appeals to a lot of people in this generation as something they would like to try.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
No offence taken, I got two firesteels from the Ray Mears shop but only needed one. I suppose to by authetic, one should use a natural flint and a roughen piece of hardened steel with dried moss tinder like our predecssors must have rather than a processed firesteel with all sorts of enhancments to make it work better. Works great though!

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Hahaha! This Ray craze make some people look so silly.

That is nothing but a Swedish Primus Ignition-steel as they call it. www.primus.se just picked up my third one today.

Please, no Ray this and Ray that; just pick your gear because it works for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE