Ray Mears Bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
troyka said:
hi.
in todays (wed) he says u need three knots, but i only heard him name one.. and i didnt write it down :(

Did you mean the 'Jungle Trek' one?

Its repeated at 8pm tonight on UKTV Documentary or 9pm on UKTV Documentary +1

Cheers

Grez..

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Troika wrote:

"in todays (wed) he says u need three knots, but i only heard him name one.. and i didnt write it down
anyone know which three"

Troika I had been asking myself the same question while watching Ray's program last Spring (BBC2).

I found our eventually they are the 3 ones he also shows in his book "Bushcraft":
They are all "quick release" knots. I have learned and used them all recently.

1) Evenk knot used by the Evenk tribe (Siberia) to tie up a reindeer to a tree or a pole.

2)Another tie up knot which has the advantage of increasing the tension of your rope (of tightening it up).

These 2 knots Ray uses them to tie up his basha (or hootchie) to trees. I imagine he would use both knots, the one I listed here no2 as the 2nd one to tighten up well his ridge cord, its Evenk counterpart at the other tree being a good strong knot capable of withstanding the pulling.

3) This is a knot to tie your (basha or tent) guyline to a peg. You can tighten up your guyline at will by moving the knot along its cord.

NOW: if you don't have Ray's book "Bushcraft" and don't want to buy it now (£20 I think) where these 3 knots are explained on the same page, go to your local public library and photocopy the page or else go to any large bookshop and read the page making a note of the knots in your notebook.

I have the book myself. I photocopied the page and learned the knots from the photocopy I carried in my pocket for a while until I knew the knots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE