Ray Mears - as off topic as you like :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
But i feel he's done it all now,And should move on,I would like to see him making programmes like out of town and take on Jack Hargreaves mantle Showing all are dying crafts.

Bernie

I think format wise he could easily fit into regular slots on Countryfile but the problem would be him being available to film week in week out all year round and his needing to be off for weeks on end to do is other stuff.

What I could see him fitting in with would be guest slots on Springwatch/Autumnwatch, though RM and Bill Oddie both have a habit of breaking into hearty laughing, together they may just scare off the local wildlife.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
While we're off subject:

What make are his:
  1. Trousers
  2. Shirt
  3. Hat
  4. Knife
  5. Socks
  6. Boots
  7. The DSLR he was using
  8. Undies
  9. Hair gel
  10. Billy can
  11. Tea bags

I need the above items as quickly as possible. :cool:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Back in the day, I was asked by RM (then a slim chap known as Raymond)what I thought of the (then) new Wilkie Survival knife...I slagged it off as over complicated with a cr*ppy ally nut on a steel thread that stripped as you looked at it.....I then found out RM had designed it :eek:
The next knife he designs was the Woodlaw Bushy!
Can I claim I inspired RM?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The Real Heroes of Telemark doesn't get discussed very often. Shamefully, the Bloody Bodge-up Company have still not released the series on DVD in a crystal clear format. Ray went out there and pretended he could ski, I have it on good authority that his telemark skiing leaves a lot to be desired! All the same, he opened up a whole new avenue of survivalism, a brand new topic on the subject and a story I was not that familiar with. te scenery was breathtaking, the skills were pretty good and to have everyday guys basically running the show interspersed with Rays' little tips and voiceovers, it made excellent viewing.

Last year, I met Ray. He's a decent guy, no matter what I may think of his recent TV series. I'd like to think that he is a big enough man (save the fat jokes please!) to take any criticism in his stride with regards to his programmes. To be fair, the rest of his stuff has been of such a high standard that anything less than his norm was gonna get ripped apart straight away.

Of the telemark series, he said that he really wanted to pay tribute to these men who had basically halted Germanys' production of heavy water and denied Hitler The Bomb. (That's BcUK getting flagged by the FBI now!) He said he needed to make the programme before the rest of the team started to drop like flies, as one or two guys had already succumbed to old age. When he was told that there wouldn't be any interest, he said that if the BBC wouldn't make it, he'd go elsewhere to make it and never work for the BBC again. They let him make the programme and it was well recieved. Something makes me think that Ray should get up on the soap box against the fuel prices! Anyway, he made it and a few weeks after filming, the next Hero passed away. These guys really were heroes, to live in such conditions with little food to keep them going, under threat of being found by the Germans and with no immediate back up if the proverbial hit the fan, I have the most unbelievable respect for those guys. And also to Ray for having the balls to stand up to some short sighted big wig at the Bloody Bodge-up Company who didn't think it would do well.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Back in the day, I was asked by RM (then a slim chap known as Raymond)what I thought of the (then) new Wilkie Survival knife...I slagged it off as over complicated with a cr*ppy ally nut on a steel thread that stripped as you looked at it.....I then found out RM had designed it :eek:
The next knife he designs was the Woodlaw Bushy!
Can I claim I inspired RM?

Nope! I spoke to Ray about this when I met him, eds will back me up on this one as he was there. Ray said he is gonna write a book one day showing the knife he designed, which is not the knife patented under his name online! I believe that the bells and whistles were added after the fact to give it that "Oooo, shiney!" factor. ray said we will see it one day, and wouldn't let on to the story behind it. He had me intrigued somewhat!

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I like Ray Mears, he's fun for Americans like me to try to imitate. Not as easy as Monty Python (But how do you know she's a witch?), Ray is much more subtle. He does seem squared away in the bush and I learn something new all the time watching is shows.

The term Bushcraft is kind of funny. A bunch of guys out in the middle of nowhere frying bacon on sticks, cooking out of old coffee cans, sleeping under blankets, hopping trains, riding to the next town... I'm sorry those are hobo's. My mistake. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE