Raw Linseed oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RJames

Forager
Jun 25, 2008
Durham, UK
I am having a problem finding this stuff locally to me, I can only find boiled linseed, which I know is full of stuff I don't want on my axe handles, even though it dries faster. Do you guys know of anywhere I can pick raw linseed oil up?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Boiled linseed oil should be just that. Carefully heated so that it dries faster. It's sold as Stand oil.
The adulterated stuff should be clearly labelled as containing driers since it is then toxically inedible.

If you're really bothered, go to the chemist and buy linseed oil. It's used for constipation, and these days as a supplement. Just use tiny thin coats and let it settle into the pores of the wood. It takes time, and if you leave your knife lying wet it'll soak in moisture again even after months of drying.
Be incredibly careful of any rags you use, allow them to air dry outside. The drying process of the oil is exothermic and bundled cloths with oil on them can go on fire as the heat builds up. I generally just burn the rag as soon as I'm done, to be certain.

cheers,
Toddy

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
You can find the stuff in the supermarket or whole food shops under the name flax seed oil - it will be expensive, though. You can also try equestrian suppliers - linseed oil is a feed supplement for horses. Lastly there's mail order here is one supplier (I haven't used them, but they have a good reputation).

Cheers

Last edited:

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Don't forget to oil it every hour for a day.
Every day for a week.
Every week for a month.
Every month for a year.
Then every year for life.

And use boiled oil, it really makes a difference.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Boiled linseed oil should be just that. Carefully heated so that it dries faster. It's sold as Stand oil.
The adulterated stuff should be clearly labelled as containing driers since it is then toxically inedible.

That's not actually the case, in the UK anything sold as a food product has to have ingredients listed but a finishing oil does not. Boiled linseed as far as I have been able to find out (because in other countries finishing oils do have to publish contents) always has drying agents added (usually manganese or cobalt) not nowadays lead as it used to be. More on oils here http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/search/label/finishing wood

Having said that drying agents would not bother me on an axe handle only on something that came into contact with food.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I last bought boiled linseed oil for templates.
It says, "Boiled linseed oil -- no additives" "Stand Oil"

The bottle in the workshop however, says , "Boiled Linseed Oil, Not for food use, Lead free, Contains manganese terpenes"

Basically, unless it's pure linseed oil, don't drink it :)

cheers,
Toddy

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
try your local farm shop, or feed place, they use it for horses and some other animals too..........

if its sold in this form it will be RAW and no additives.....

hope this helps.....

chris..

Jan 23, 2008
Tewkesbury
you can get pure linseed oil from High Barn Oils.co.uk which is food grade. - Quit a lot of Green wood workers are using it for spoons and bowls now instead of walnut oil because of allergies!

It comes in 5 litres so which will last you a lifetime or share amongst a few mates

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE